Thread: Savage 12 LRP accessory question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thomae

Taking a step back to clarify things and answer the OP's original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkbane View Post
    ...If that's the case, I'd be careful relying too much on that review because there is NO SUCH THING as a recoil lug on a scope base (at least for Savage Actions).
    Sir, might I gently suggest you conduct slightly more exhaustive research because your statement is simply incorrect. I would rely on that review because Weaver and TPS tactical bases (and probably some other brands) do indeed have recoil lugs. Please see below.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    ...I cant say if the recoil lug would interfeer (sic) with the mount your(sic) looking at, but I can not imigine needing to take it off to install a base, if so I think I would stay away from that base. The recoil lug is a vital part of the rifle.
    Sir, in this case, the recoil lug in question is a not the rifle's recoil lug (between the receiver and the barrel nut), but rather a vital part of the Weaver (and apparently the TPS) tactical scope base. Please see below.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflight View Post
    ... TPS seems to be the cheapest one,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...on-matte-steel One of the reviewers says he had to remove the recoil lug on the scope mount in order to install on the 12LRP. Is this still true as of 2012?
    Yes it is still true. The TPS (along with the Weaver tactical bases) have an integral recoil lug (also called a "shoulder" in the MidwayUSA copy). This lug fits directly behind the forward edge of the open ejection port of the open-topped (non target) actions.

In the two photos below, the front of the Weaver base I am holding is to the right as you look at the photos. You can see the protrusion ("lug," or "shoulder") that sticks out about two inches to the right of my thumb, and to the left of the forward mounting holes. What this does is transfer the recoil forces directly to the base through this lug, thus taking some of the stress from the recoil force transfer away from the mounting screws themselves.

Because the Savage long range precision action is a target action, it has a closed top over the ejection port, unlike the open top of the hunting rifles. Because of this, there is no edge for the lug or shoulder on the base to lock onto.

Therefore, to answer one of the OP's original questions, if you wish to correctly mount a scope base rail with an integral recoil lug onto a closed top action such as the LRP series, yes, you must first grind off the scope base's recoil lug so that it will fit tightly against the top of the receiver.

I hope this makes sense and clarifies the confusion endemic to this thread.

Last edited by thomae; 12-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.

freeflight
    Thanks a lot. Your reply confirmed my concern about the recoil lug. I have to pass the Weaver or TPS. I believe Nightforce makes one without recoil lug, but it is a little pricey. Just wish there is cheaper alternative.
    Last edited by freeflight; 12-15-2012 at 03:23 AM.

thomae
    The "standard" Weaver does not have the recoil lug. Only the "tactical" rail. However, the standard rail is not available with a 20 degree cant.