Thread: Me new favorite part of the deer....

Nandy

Me new favorite part of the deer....

The heart... It is awesome. Cleaned the fat and the veins, sliced it in steaks and put it in a soy/olive oil/minced garlic/black pepper/lemon home made marinade and will leave it there until tomorrow BUT... Since I could not wait got one of the steaks out after an hour. Wrap it in bacon, preheat the oven for 350 deg and did a 5 min one side, 6min the other to leave it medium rare. Bacon was not as crisp as I like, I generally do 450 deg and 6 to 8 minutes per side for the backstrap and the bacon comes out toasty BUT the backstraps get close to well done. I think I need to precook the bacon... Anyway, I could compare it to rib eye steaks... The bad part is that the heart is high in cholesterol so be careful. I started using the low sodium soy sauce....

Have you guys tried it?

I love heart. Since the rest of the family never had an interest in it that left it all for me.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

irondog54
    Love hearts! Deer, pig, beef.... they go for cheap at the meat shop at times

CJnWy
    Both the heart and liver fried with onions make for great camp meat,very seldom makes it back home! You can add the tongue to the list too.

tyler.woodard04
    Usually cook it up that day my self. Cut into 1/2" thick rings saute with butter garlic and onions. Perfect. That is unless i blow it apart at the shot. That kinda sucks!

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler.woodard04 View Post
    Usually cook it up that day my self. Cut into 1/2" thick rings saute with butter garlic and onions. Perfect. That is unless i blow it apart at the shot. That kinda sucks!
    Neck shots is what I take all the time on a relaxed deer up to 150 Yds. After 200 yes it starts to get iffy unless I have a very good rest and the conditions are ideal. This Doe was just hanging out outside of the tree line so it was a perfect candidate.

tyler.woodard04
    Took one at 330 with striker opening day. Feeding doe laying prone just did not want to try the neck shot. I was thinking about it though

Nandy
    At 330yds I would probably not try it but that is me and my skills(or lack of there off) but I understand it totally doable. I ate the rest of the heart today but the bad part is that I set the oven to 450 (to try to get the bacon a bit more crispy) and that proved to be a little too much and it end up being well done. Still tasty... Going again tomorrow, between me and the other guys I hope I can get another heart by the end of the weekend...

rattfink
    Heart is the only organ meat I really enjoy. Its rich flavor is wonderful.

helotaxi
    Doctor's orders: No organ meat. All yours! Of course the one that I shot this year took a .308 cal bullet right through the heart so it was hamburger. The elk went down the same way.

MrMajestic
    Quote Originally Posted by CJnWy View Post
    add the tongue to the list too.
    My God, how you eat something that came out of an animals mouth? I think I'll stick with eggs!

CJnWy
    My God, how you eat something that came out of an animals mouth? I think I'll stick with eggs!

Now that right there is funny, almost missed it!
    Spent too much time at the grandparents as a child I guess........The dog was lucky to get anything leftover from those two Heck they made oxtail out of the whitetail stubb!!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic View Post
    Tongue: Yumm! Tender, melt in your mouth meat when prepared correctly. It's a muscle, just like any other meat. Perhaps you need to find someone with a better recipe than you've used in the past. It makes a big difference.

What usually puts people off about tongue is that the consistency is different than traditional red meat muscle. I, on the other hand, really like it a lot. Of course, I also like oriental jellyfish salad and other "weird" food. I don't like liver, however, so when we go hunting, I'll trade you liver for tongue.

To each his own. As long as there's food, it's all good.