Thread: Short vs long action Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roger SS
    Very interesting. Mabe this is partly why the US military went from .30-06 to .308 More reliable feeding from magazine. (Newbie speculation)

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger SS View Post
    Very interesting. Mabe this is partly why the US military went from .30-06 to .308 More reliable feeding from magazine. (Newbie speculation)
    They went to the .308 because they were able to duplicate the military .30-06 load in a lighter cartridge that was less expensive to produce. The same money bought more rounds and a soldier could carry more rounds for a given weight.

americanstrat98
    If you don't mind bolt throw, go with the long action. The real plus is that you can elongate those bullets and pack the powder in. You will have exactly what you want, vs if you buy a short you will always be wondering.

+1 to helotaxi and 82boy

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by americanstrat98 View Post
    The real plus is that you can elongate those bullets and pack the powder in.
    Nice thing about a Savage short action is that you can load a .308 based case so long that the bullet is barely in the case and powder capacity is at its max without having to worry about going to a long action. I've hit the lands with VLDs in my .243 without mag or action length issues and COAL in the 2.9+" range.

The long action is not as rigid as the short action, however it is still more rigid than it needs to be. The long bolt throw on my hunting rifle (older long action .243) is slightly annoying. My main complaint about the long actions is trying to mount a scope. With most newer scopes having a very short main tube, you have to find extended bases or go to a tactical type rail to mount a scope on one.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    They went to the .308 because they were able to duplicate the military .30-06 load in a lighter cartridge that was less expensive to produce. The same money bought more rounds and a soldier could carry more rounds for a given weight.
    Ah yes indeed. Does the .30-06 still have range and power advantages over the .308? I'm guessing the answer is yes esp. with heavier bullets otherwise it still wouldn't be around after 106 years.