Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night hunting set ups

Basic Member

Night hunting set ups

Ok fellas just as the title shows, what are you guys that do hunt at night: fox,coyote, pig doing for lighting systems? Pics and descriptions of set ups would be nice how long does the light last ect. The options used to be limited to a coon hunting light and a primos or light force big bulky set up. With new led lighting and batteries what are you guys successfully using to harvest critters after dark?
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    I use "wicked lights". The size of a modest flashlight and they have NIMH batteries which last for a few hours at a time. I got 2 red lights, but now I am reading that the color thing is overblown. I might get 1 white module (it is changeable) and what is interesting is that battery life is double with the white light compared to red. And you can see the lit area much better in full color as opposed to monochromatic red light.

I got my stuff from http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/brand-wicked-lights/

Great company, got my Foxpro call there too. Since we are only allowed rimfire at night in Michigan, I find the clamp on mount to work fine, even though I have a 30mm scope tube vs the smaller light tube.

Sorry, don't have any pictures of my setup, but the site I referred to has it illustrated very well.

Basic Member
    The color thing is overblown? Please do tell and the wicked light looks good I'd heard the 250xlr light is good too but no one has them here in Indiana we can use a bazooka to hunt yotes so I'd like something a little further reach than my primos scope light I use my 28 volt Brighteyes box light to scan and carry a 6v14amh battery for my scope light it's a heavy pain might hafta buy me a wicked light :-)
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    The latest copy of Predator Extreme magazine has a story about a group of guys who shoot video of their night hunts and they switched from red lights to white to cinematography lights (over $1.5k per light) and I believe they now use 4 or 5 of these lights just for the camera with another on the gun platform. It is probably more powerful than the searchlights used in WW2 for shooting down aircraft... They have a dimming system so that they can ramp up the light once they see that the animal is not light shy, but remember, they are almost exclusively going after predators in the first place.

Our weeney LED lights by comparison are mere pinprics of light so there is probably no harm in using white, particularly if that hels you take a shot and see the animals body instead of only the reflection of its eyes.

Basic Member
    I use a thermal imager (ps32) and a 3rd generation 4x night vision scope....no flash/kill lights for me.

Basic Member
    5spd can you take photos of your set up at a target o known distance and upload pics? I'm intrigued about night vision only problem with it I can tell is I wear glasses and you have to put it to your eye if you can explain a little about your night vision set up cost and efficiency I'd appreciate it. West have you used white led lights on predators before? Just wondering I have taken the red filter off my 28volt coon light and it's very bright, in fact coons in trees won't look at it not saying a hungry cold dog wouldn't might be worth a try to take filters off
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    The LED light sources do not produce broad spectrum light which is then filtered. The actual LED is made to produce the desired light color right at the chip level. So no filters are involved. To change light color you need a different "lamp" module, which are not very expensive. The "wicked lights" can be dimmed by momentarily touching the operating button, I think there are 3 power levels and then strobe. Take a look at the link I posted, they have pretty informative videos.

I would agree that TI (thermal imaging) is the way to go, but the scopes are pretty expensive. I think a Min of $6500+ at the moment. I see that FLIR say in their video that the PS 32 will be less than $2000, yet amazingly, everyone is asking $2999 wtf ? Just 50% on top of whatever margin was already built in.

Basic Member
    West it sounds to me like you have a much much greater understanding of lights and diodes and they work than I do so here is a good question. Why is it that you can buy a h3 style bulbed "scope light" with a battery but they still don't have a reasonable light (with battery for longer hunt times in a red led)? My 28v Brighteyes light uses Nimh batteries and I believe there are 16-18 not real sure AA sized batteries in the box, the box is very light and easy to carry why has no one created/invented a single diode kill light at a reasonable cost that's very bright and lasts longer than 2 hours? When we hunt as I did Friday night for example we left the house at 10pm and I got in at 5am granted there was some seat time maybe 30mins total but when we finally do get the chance to hunt we hunt for longer periods of time than normal I guess. Thank you guys for all the info I'm still learning and looking for better ways, and from the sound of it it sounds like I need to upgrade my equipment! $6500!!! To kill coyotes!!!! That's prolly not gonna happen now $2200 maaaaaaybe but then I'm assuming you're limited to hunting with people utalizing the same equipment as you are for fear anyone with a light could cause a flare up? I'm still learning here guys I appoligize for anything that seems or sounds dumb
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    I'm not sure I understand the question. The wicked lights take a single special battery. You get a spare for each light and a 2 position charger. I can't imagine you walk around with your light on all the time, right ? I operate the call, then scan periodically on reduced power. If I see eyes coming in, then I increase the power while holding the light above the critter then get on it. I have so far not needed to use my second battery and I have one light fixed to the rifle and the second for scanning by hand.

The light source is very small and the reflector is about 3" deep so the light is highly concentrated. So it does not seem that a huge amount of power is needed. Plenty of white LED's are being used for primary lighting purposes (all light fixtures in my house where I don't want a delay when I turn the light on) are LED. The balance is compact fluorescent. If a single one of these is not enough, it is pretty easy to package 2 of them together, because they are small and light. I did not pay a fortune for this system. Many of the other lights were over $250 each and the green ones nearly $400.

If next years bonus is substantial, I might consider getting one of the thermal imaging scopes. Coyotes are for practice, the real deal is shooting wolves on cattle ranches. Most of these scopes are set up so that you can record footage of the shot, which with "protected" species like the wolf could be important. Same with cougar. Cattle people are pretty frustrated with the losses they have had since the wolf populations have taken off. And most of the time they are nocturnal.

Basic Member
    Great explanation and as a farmer I understand the importance of animals. I just ordered one of those lights and will let you know how I like it, to answer your question yes it is the law in Indiana to have a continuous light on visible 500 feet while night hunting. My coon light will run for 24hours straight on low side I wear the hat that the head hooks to if I'm looking that way the light is too. My biggest thing is in taking the shot. Once the animal starts his approach you have to get the kill light on him get into your scope and turn the headlamp down or you get serious halos in your scope. I will see how this new led light works and go from there my next purchase has to be a lit reticle scope. I'm still searching for one that fits the bill. Thank you West will update as soon as I get it.
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    I went with a Weaver from Natchez . It is a 1.5-4.5 with an illuminated reticle. http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0702&src=tpCtg About $290. It has a 30mm tube and a wide field of view on 1.5 magnification. 4.5 is decent magnification. It does not illuminate the entire reticle but puts a red dot at the center of the cross hairs.

Basic Member
    How would you compare the glass in it to other scopes? And the lit reticle? I understand one mans opinion is just that, but I've also heard that the glass in a weaver scope is very hard to beat for the money. Having never held,looked through, or seen one up close this is yet again new territory. Thanks again
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    The Weaver I mentioned is not exactly a budget scope. Its regular msrp is close to $600. I looked all over, and unless one goes with a 1x red dot scope (so losing any magnification) I have not found a better solution. I will not touch the Barska and other cheap junk. On the cheap illuminated scopes, the illumination lights up the whole inside of the scope tube so I doubt I would be able to see the target with one of those at night. I think it is a good scope. The magnification ring is a little heavy to rotate, which seems standard for weaver scopes, I think they load their O ring seals a bit heavier than they should. The alternative is a Trijicon and that is big $, same for a Leupold.

Basic Member
    I myself won't touch a Barska I know people that have them on 06's and are suprisingly still in one piece. My goal scope is a NF but time nor money has allowed that yet I try to buy things that have multipurpose applications. Some people don't consider a heavy barrel a coyote rifle, but I don't mind packing an extra 7-10 lbs of gun while hunting coyotes I also use it for prairie dog applications as well. I have currently one of my 4200 (6-24)'s on my night gun no lit reticle, I am interested in the scope you speak of in the 4-16 power might even get the 6-24 as 6power really isn't horrible for night hunting IMHO. Thanks for the input and I guess us 3 are the only ones that night hunt lol.
    couple of savages

Westcliffe01
    Since you already have that scope you may as well try it, but I find it hard to imagine that you will be able to get onto a pair of eyes when your Min Magnification is 6x. I think a lot of people do use red dot sights, it is just that their eyesight is better than mine... If you have a red dot with a 3x magnifier that can be flipped out the way, that can be fine too. But all those options are likely to cost more than the weaver I mentioned.

Basic Member
    The only problem I have with the current 6-24 scope is finding the cross hairs if that scope had a lit reticle I'd never worry about another brand or kind of scope they are nice glass for the money repeatable and has never let me down. I will keep you posted if I decide to go with a new weaver scope. There is a pic of it in the predators with rifles post lol so it will work for now
    couple of savages

choclabs
    Gentlemen,

I am very interested to have read your experience, esp. with the Wicked Hunting Lights. Louisiana is having their second year of night predator hunting begining last day of Feb through last day of Aug. and i plan to gear up for it. Questions: Have either of you hunted with or know of someone who has hunted with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 40mm? Please see the Wicked Hunting Lights mounted on a Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 .223 Rem http://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/Marksman_Kit.html
    How well does the wicked lights produce the reticle when night hunting with a non illuminated scope? Last one, I plan to post this link in the Optics/Mounts section, but do you know anyone who has used the illuminated Luepold VX-R 3-9 40mm? http://www.riflescopespy.com/best-rifle-scope/

The Wicked Hunting Lights website has an excellent live night hunt video with hogs taken at 125-150yards. The rifle in the video is different than the one shown in the picture with the Zeiss scope mounted on it. It looks like the rifle in the video is using a Leupold scope.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Basic Member
    Choclabs, Although I can not help you with the High End optics. I have been out hunting multiple times since I got my light and don't think I've posted results yet the following are my conclusions: first off I used to use a 250yard scope light with a 55watt bulb instead of a 35watt bulb in conjunction with a 6v14amh battery (heavy and combersome) on top of a 4200 elite bushnell 6-24x40 with a 6" sunshade. All that being said it was bright enough to illuminate eyes out to 150-200 yards (not the animal they belong too) I purchased this wicked 400 light kit and the link you have above is the light i purchased the marksman kit. I was very skeptical as i am stuck in my ways, I used the scope light and i still use a 28 volt bright eyes coon light to scan with. So I don't amuse easily. With out a doubt it was the best money I have spent for night hunting to date. If i knew it was such a great light I would have bought the kit that includes 2 lights and all the trinkets to do away with my coon light. It has quick detach feature that allows you to also use it to scan. I can say I went out hunting the other night with half a moon and found it is very easy to show eyes. I get on google earth to predetermine landmarker so when on the ground at night I know "known distances" to objects. I can say that the wicked light sitting on top of my elite "WITH" a 6" sunshade you don't need a lit reticle and it will pick up (eyes) out to 500 yards I have tested this personally. More realistic Shootable yards 2-300 yards to determine the animals make and model. I would buy a scope you are comfortable with if I had the lit mil-dot reticle it would be advantageous of course every little edge helps but if it's not in the budget I wouldn't worry too much about it it. A 223 realisticly is good for 300 yards on a coyote and at night the only thing that is easier is finding eyes. Distances are harder to judge and animals can see way better than we can so stealth is key. I will try to post so pics at known distances though the actual scope to let you see it. I would also like to add Im in no way affiliated with wicked lights. I was just so skeptical that a light that small could do what it does.
    Last edited by quickkillaught6; 01-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    couple of savages

choclabs
    QK06,
    Excellent report! Your first hand experience of clearly seeing the non-illuminated reticle on your 4200 Elite is exactly what I was expecting to hear. I also very much appreciate the accurate working range guidelines of the Wicked Hunting Light that you have witnessed. Since my original reply I have scoured the web to get accurate real world use references on both the Zeiss and Leupold scopes. I am convinced that either scope is quite capable of producing a view that would alllow an ethical shot placement on most game animals before 30 min prior to sunrise and later than 30 min after sunset. From what I can tell with more that 2 dozen user reviews that I have read on each of these scopes, the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x 40mm ($349 best price) is best non-illuminated low light scope on the market for under $1,000. It equals or betters many higher dollar scopes costing much more. The Leupold VX-R 3-9x 40mm ($435 best price) is depicted as having at least equal to and some say the best low light scope looked through. In addition the illuminated reticle technology as implemented by Leupold, compares as equally to or better than the well known high dollar illuminated retical on the market. What the illuminated reticle definitely can provide as an advantage over a non-illuminated reticle is the ability to quickly and accurately center the crosshairs on a dark colored animal in low light conditions, such as a black bear or more often encountered dark colored hogs. So what I have conclude is that I will buy the Leupold for the "FireDot" advantage and even if the scope red dot malfunctions, I'll have a great low light scope.

Basic Member
    Choclabs, it sounds like you also have done your homework. Good luck in your purchases and we all expect pics :-)
    couple of savages

rld_55

Night hunting set ups

I use the xlr-250 in green or red. I seem to see farther and better with the green. I mount them on top of Nikon scopes all in the 4-16 power ranges. I like to use my sunshade to cut down the glare. As far as distance you can see 250 yards but I have never got a shot over 75 yards with one. The battery life is probably about 3 hours continuous from full charge. Would I buy another you bet. But I think there are lights that work just as we'll that cost less.

Basic Member
    I have three set ups, depending on where I'm hunting, all are red Kill Lights. I live in Special Regs area, it's rimfile and shotgun only here. When I get about an hour away I get into centerfile rifle.

On the rifles I have XLR250s mounted with Bookdock's soft covers. Line the end with a slice from a caulk tube and you're all set. I've found than they seem to work best at night around 4-5x on the scope.

I have a 250 on my shotgun too but, don't use it, it's a little strong for upclose shotgun action. When I pick up eyes coming in I'll tip the XLR100 on my hat a little to the right (I'm left handed) and that's plenty of light for the RedDot.
    Last edited by shovelheadave; 01-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quickkillaught6 View Post
    5spd can you take photos of your set up at a target o known distance and upload pics? I'm intrigued about night vision only problem with it I can tell is I wear glasses and you have to put it to your eye if you can explain a little about your night vision set up cost and efficiency I'd appreciate it. West have you used white led lights on predators before? Just wondering I have taken the red filter off my 28volt coon light and it's very bright, in fact coons in trees won't look at it not saying a hungry cold dog wouldn't might be worth a try to take filters off
    I wear glasses and dont have an issue using a pals D740 NV scope.
    I also use a flir s32, but I do not wear glasses using that since I need to get it closer. Most night times I do not wear my glasses, but have them with me.
    I do not have a way to take pics with the NV outfit.
    I only use sub zero lights in Green only. I hate the red ones and can see much more w/the green units as well as the animal.
    Flir ps32 thermals run $2600 +/-
    Good dedicated 3rd gen scope runs $4k+
    Sub zero ND50 designators run $400 +/-

Basic Member
    Subscribed, need something in the lighting department soon, pigs must die.

Basic Member
    Wicked 400 kill lights IMHO best light hands down
    couple of savages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast