Thread: 300 h&h

Basic Member

300 h&h

Anyone have experience converting a 110 to 300 H&H? I found an old thread in the archives talking about it.
    Have a Stevens 200 coming and a letter to McGowen about ordering a barrel.

Great forum
    Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by semtav; 11-23-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: try to capitalize H&H

Basic Member
    I have read of some, I think, but I know for sure the action is a bit short for the H&H rounds. Not sure if it can be open up enough to make it work. Others might know better.

Basic Member
    The action is not too short, but the magazine is. However, if it's a centerfeed magazine, Savage seems to have made the magazine opening in the bottom of the receiver longer but the magazine box is still the same length. You'll see a space in front of the mag box to the feed ramp. You can cut a notch out in the front of the magazine box to allow the bullet points to stick through and they'll still clear the feed ramp thus making it a repeater. I've tested it with a 300 Weatherby round (same length as the H&H) and it fit.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I have a Stevens 200 coming , not sure if they are a centerfeed??

Basic Member
    finally got my 200 rebarreled with the McGowen 300 H&H 10-1 twist 26" varmint contour.
    Haven't decided to put it on the Boyds stock yet so i just ground out the plastic stock and installed it on it.
    Only unattached scope I had lying around was an old Bushnell Banner 4X so I put that on with weaver rings.
    Not the most accurate set up, but wanted to get it shooting.
    just shooting it single shot so haven't dealt with the magazine.

Started with 150 Speer bthp bullets
    three different loads with 4350, H414 and H4831
    couldn't get three bullets to touch on any load, but got two touching on two loads
    going to try H1000 and RL22 too then move up to the 165 gr bullets
    anyone shooting the H&H with other powders?
    Might Pick up some Ramshot Hunter and RL19

thomae
    There is an article about the 300 H&H in this month's American Rifleman magazine.

Basic Member
    If it's a centerfeed, the magazine will look a lot like a double column handgun magazine at the top. In other words, it staggers the rounds inside, but you can see the feed lips funnel the top round to the center of the magazine to where it is directly in line with the bolt face. Good luck with your build!

Basic Member
    it wound up being a stagger feed

Basic Member
    Couldn't stand the plastic stock so I put the Boyds classic laminate on it. Not much meat left on the forearm but enough I guess.
    Have a 10 power scope coming so will see how that works out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    There is an article about the 300 H&H in this month's American Rifleman magazine.
    I got that in the mail that morning . Hadn't seen the article til you said something.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    looks good!

look on ebay at wildcat or AI and there are a couple sets of 300 improved dies
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    They would probably make good neck sizers for my 300 H&H going to use the 300WSM I have for now.