Thread: Devcon purchase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    A few pics of another job. Its one of those "off brands" , but the process and idea is the same for a Savage.

Prep'd ready to go into the goop... The guide screws are used to align the action. Also notice the action is stripped. Its easier to remove the parts than work around them. I made the filler plug in the magazine cutout with Devcon "F" aluminum putty. I use Johnson's paste wax or Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release, no preference of one over the other.

In the PS, the excess removed with popsicle sticks, Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol.

After three days curing time all that's left is the cleanup and drilling the holes out to 5/16" for action screw shank clearance.

Here is an example of a Savage action prep'd with the pillars installed ready to go. It was for a photo shoot only, I leave the rear pillar it's full diameter and notch it after bedding. I glue the pillars in and bed the action both at the same time, one shot and done.

The key is to bed the stock to the action, not the action to the stock. In both those examples the action is resting in in the bedding material in it's natural state. Pulling them in with screws or clamps can reproduce the same action to stock error(s) in the bedding your trying to eliminate , why its called "Stress Free" bedding.

Bill

Basic Member
    When I bed an action I dont usually take the trigger off. I usually wrap it with electrical tape and then cover it with release agent. That way when you are done you have eliminated major Dremel work for trigger clearances
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!