Thread: Mil Vs MOA turret adjustments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A .1 mil click would be equal to aprox 3/8"@ 100 yds.
    So that makes me think that a scope with 0.10 Mil clicks could be a bit of a pain to zero compared to one with say 1/4 MOA, at least at first.

I don't really know how to phrase it, but after dealing in 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 MOA (which of course translate into roughly the same portion of an inch per click) for so long having adjustments that are 3/8" seems somehow less tidy mental math wise.

I know that realisticly Mil based adjustments are going to be found primarily on Mil/Mil type scopes, and that's where their utility is. But I think that for the use to which the scope-rifle combo in question is going to be put in teh next year or so, that it will be better to stick to MOA based adjustments for the time being.

which of course means that i am rather happy that the small " Oh, #$*@ " moment i had last night turned out ot be a false alarm (i think they were doing site maintainence or something).

again thank you for the info it WILL be helpful a little ways down the road when i upgrade my own scope (using a Simmons that's decent but lacking in a few details right now).

Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    So that makes me think that a scope with 0.10 Mil clicks could be a bit of a pain to zero compared to one with say 1/4 MOA, at least at first.

I don't really know how to phrase it, but after dealing in 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 MOA (which of course translate into roughly the same portion of an inch per click) for so long having adjustments that are 3/8" seems somehow less tidy mental math wise.

I know that realisticly Mil based adjustments are going to be found primarily on Mil/Mil type scopes, and that's where their utility is. But I think that for the use to which the scope-rifle combo in question is going to be put in teh next year or so, that it will be better to stick to MOA based adjustments for the time being.

which of course means that i am rather happy that the small " Oh, #$*@ " moment i had last night turned out ot be a false alarm (i think they were doing site maintainence or something).

again thank you for the info it WILL be helpful a little ways down the road when i upgrade my own scope (using a Simmons that's decent but lacking in a few details right now).
    No, it will be just as easy. Like helotaxi said, if you have mil adjustments you will probably have mil reticule.

Shoot at the target. Look through the scope and count the number of mils you need to move to match point of impact to point of aim. You're clicks will be 10x the number of mils you need to move.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar