This is my first post on the forum so if this is in the wrong place, please be kind. My friend invited me to go prairie dog shooting with him next summer so I decided to get a varmint rifle. I talked to a couple of buddies and they recommended Savage varmint rifles. I sold a few things and picked up a new Savage 12FV and started work. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the rifle seemed to be.

The best part of the story was that shortly after I told my dad I was going out west to shoot dogs he called me and told me to come by his house and get all his old gunsmith tools as he said he was "retiring from the shooting business". His eyes are pretty bad now so I understood. I went to his house three weekends in a row and brought home all his old carving tools, reloading equipment and about 1k rounds in .22-250 and .25-06. He also gave me his personal target rifles. One is a heavy barrel .22-250 with double set triggers on a Mauser 98 receiver with highly figured walnut stock that he built in the '60's. The other is a Rem Sendero he customized back in the '90's. Both shoot very well out to long ranges.

So I get back home and get organized to put together my own rifle trying to follow in Dad's footsteps just a little bit.

I have started the following blog to document my own Savage Rifle progress: http://lscraig1968.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking.