Hi all, I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago while looking for some info on action screw spacings and barrel threads for Savage rifles. I picked up a Stevens a while back with the idea of making a project rifle out of it. A couple of weeks back I scored an almost new 260 barrel from a model 12 LRP, I turned it down and rethreaded it for the small shank Stevens action then needed a stock to put it in.

I started designing this stock a while back and had the solid model sitting on the computer. My CNC packed it in a couple of weeks back and I got all the new parts for it late last week. I wanted to run something through the mill to test it all out before I did some customers jobs just in case something went haywire so I CAM-ed up the model I had drawn for chassis to fit a Savage into AICS skins and chopped it out of some acetal yesterday to see how it would all work.

It's looking quite do-able. The skins need to be opened up in the magwell area but this should fit into some long action skins. The area around the bolt handle is a bit tricky, the bolt release lever makes the action as wide as the chassis in that area so I'm extending the cutout in the right skin so the chassis will fit around the bolt release and will look factory when it's done. It will just mean the cutout in the right skin will need to be made a little longer to suit.

I'll knock up a proper one out of aluminium in the next couple of weeks and might do a program to cut out a set of viperskins to suit. I reckon it'll make for a pretty cool rifle.

Some photos of yesterday's fiddling around. Bear in mind this is pretty rough, it was more of a "proof of concept" thing to see how it would work. I thought I'd go for a 3D machined round inlet rather than a v-block. Any thoughts on it?