I have a 12FV in .22-250 that I want to build into a different caliber. The rifle came with a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel, blind magazine, and I put one of those crummy Bell and Carlson Durramaxx stocks on it.

I definitely need to change the stock out, but need some guidance on the barrel. I'm not sure if I should even re-barrel, or leave the rifle as is and just replace the stock. The barrel is a slow twist 1:12 and I can't get 55gr ballistic tips to print on paper at 50yds. This thing likes the 45 to 50gr bullets. I have some requirements for the rifle and I don't think the 45-50 gr bullets will work for it.

I want to shoot this rifle at a maximum range of 500-600 yards. Where I live I think the longest range is 600 and that's a private members only range. (I don't have the $900 yearly fee to be worthy of membership) more than likely this rifle will touch 300 yards at the most and that's about it. I would like to have a rifle that can cleanly take deer and hogs, but still be relatively soft shooting. I have heard some great things about the .260 Remington, but lack of factory support is discouraging. Right now I live in an apartment and don't have the space to set up my press. (broke LEO)

I'd like to do this over the course of several months and would like to keep it as cost effective as possible. My maximum weight for the rifle is around 10 pounds. Right now I'm thinking about rebarreling to .243 Winchester or 7mm-08, but the .260 has my attention. I know a .308 will be the easiest to find on the shelf, but I already own a .30-06 and I don't care for the recoil.

Any insight on barrel manufacturers and stocks will be very helpful. Any insight on switching calibers would also be helpful. I have a ER Shaw barrel on my AR and that rifle shoots lights out for a 16 inch AR. Is ER Shaw a good starting point? I'd like to be able to carry this rifle in the field, but would also like some long range capability. I just need some ideas. Thanks.