I agree Gm it's not a broken spring. The front section was cut and had a wicked bur on the inside that is digging into the firing pin body. I used a fine rasp to file that off, a light clean up on the pin body to remove the bur that was caused by the spring and filed the 3rd piece of the spring to remove the burs on that. It seems to move much better.

The cocking button came out easy once I used the tip of an ink pen to push the spring back past the button shaft.

I will call savage tomorrow and see what they say about this. It's not broke but it's not right either. With the three piece spring thing it makes the spring pitch to the side when compressed. This is in turn putting side force on the firing pin. It's showing heavy wear on the opposite side of the pin near the cocking button and opposite of that at the tip. Which tells me it's not allowing the pin to travel true to the bolt.

I also notice that when the spring is assembled onto the pin the end of the spring sits flush with the end of the pin. When I compare that to the picture of the assembled spring on Thomae's writeup (found on the main page of this site) it clearly shows a good 2mm or more of the spring sitting past the end of the pin giving it more pre-load then I have.

Perhaps when this rifle was assembled the firing pin pressure tested to high or to low so to fix it they did this strange stack up of springs.