Thread: Savage intermediate action?

tacticalj

Savage intermediate action?

So I bought this action from another forum and I got it today. It's supposed to be an intermediate action, but with a tape measure, it appears to be very close to the 4.40 short action. I can't find my calipers at the moment, so I can't get much further than that on the measurements. My question is did the 4.40 centerfeed ever come out with a box mag attached and a non-accutrigger? I know the trigger could probably have been changed out, but I'm curious as to how I am going to determine which it is, so that I can get a stock ordered? I'm hoping that it would be the 4.40 centerfeed, but I'm thinking not because of the trigger and mag box. Anyhow when I measure it with a tape measure, I get just about 4 and 7/16, or just under 4.5". The intermediate measures 4.56" from what I can tell from my online research. What say you? Thanks, Jason

tacticalj
    Well never mind, I finally found my calipers and it's an intermediate action. With that said, does anybody know where to get a stock, preferably a "Tactical style" stock. I know Boyds has a laminate typical hunting type stock, but I'm hoping for something different. Maybe I should email Kevin Rayhill and see what he can do for me. Thanks, Jason

Also on a quick note, since I'm short on time, can anybody tell me if a 308 and 270 have the same bolt head diameter? I'm thinking they do, but then I got to thinking that the 270 and 30/06 may be the same instead. Brainstorming. Thanks, Jason

I have dremeled out the pillar and moved it forward in short action stocks. Do most of your cutting to the front as that is the way your moving.

I think Kevin is set up to make one.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

1ShotKing
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticalj View Post
    Well never mind, I finally found my calipers and it's an intermediate action. With that said, does anybody know where to get a stock, preferably a "Tactical style" stock. I know Boyds has a laminate typical hunting type stock, but I'm hoping for something different. Maybe I should email Kevin Rayhill and see what he can do for me. Thanks, Jason

Also on a quick note, since I'm short on time, can anybody tell me if a 308 and 270 have the same bolt head diameter? I'm thinking they do, but then I got to thinking that the 270 and 30/06 may be the same instead. Brainstorming. Thanks, Jason
    They are all the same.

1ShotKing

Blue is right on for a quick fix.
    Fit a dowel and epoxy it in place then after a few days of drying(cure time) measure it then drill out and epoxy in a pillar. Doing it this way almost any 4.4 stock should work.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

tacticalj
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, since it's only a little more than a 10th of an inch or maybe 2. Anyhow, I'm looking at experimenting with a cheap stock and then maybe trying it on one that I want to run. I need to measure to make sure the recoil lug is in the same spot, but I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks fellas.

Basic Member
    Doesn't Boyd's still make 4.5" stocks?
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    Yes they do
    While doing other things I often wish I were hunting.
    While hunting I seldom, if ever, wish I were doing anything else

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalj View Post
    I need to measure to make sure the recoil lug is in the same spot, but I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks fellas.
    Its not. You will have to bed a new spot for it when you glass in the pillar.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

tacticalj
    Yeah that's what I figured. I may just get the boyds and do that instead. I've still got to talk with Kevin and see if he can do the prairie dog stock in that configuration. Thanks