Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
I just did this (Boyd Prairie Hunter) with my 116. The stock was definitely drop in - needing only a very small bit of hand sanding at the rear of the mag well (I suspect this was only because I had a magnum magazine).

As it turned out I spent a lot more time on mine, but that was purely an exercise in finish - I wanted to learn something about stock finishing and used this as an opportunity to experiment. It could have been ready to go in ten minutes the first day.

My barrel free floated and was evenly spaced all around. The bottom metal fit perfectly. As mentioned the recoil pad was entirely inadequate, but no more so than the stock Savage pad.

I have at this point left the pillar bedding stuff as an optional exercise for the future, to be done incrementally. It is not necessary to field accuracy. The rifle is sub-MOA in this stock as it was in the OEM plastic.

I was also considering the Hogue stock, but availability and the stories I've heard about painful cheek weld put me off. I do have an Overmolded stock on my 870 that I like very much, though.

KeS
Did you modify it or is yours a blind mag?