Thread: Subtending for leupold scope

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nandy

Subtending for leupold scope

I have a vx3 4.5-10x50 illuminated reticule Leupold scope and want to know how many inches does the cross hairs covers at 100 yds at min magnification. I had it but lost it. I called Leupold and they told me to order a catalog and the information is there but I cant wait that long...

Thanks.

M.O.A.
    You might ask at long range hunting forum they will know for sure ;-)

You can view Leupold's entire catalog online in PDF format at this link:
    http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/up...log.pdf?9d7bd4

Here's the online manual for their Ballistic Aiming Systems (ballistic reticles):
    http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/up...y12.pdf?9d7bd4
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nandy
    Thanks, seen those before but they dont seem to have the measurements I am looking for. I called Leupold in the past and they gave me the measurements of the small cross hair, the measurements from the tick post to the center of the cross hairs. I cant find where I put it. I have the illuminated duplex reticle where there is a gap between the thick pickets and the cross hairs..

Well then, here's an idea....

Take a 2 foot piece of cardboard and mark your aimpoint a few inches from the bottom. Now shoot it at 100 yards using a good solid rest, shooting a shot holding on each hash mark you want to know the spacing on. So if you have three hash marks you'd shoot 4 shots...

First shot = crosshair on marked aim point
    Second shot = first hash on marked aim point
    Third shot = second hash on marked aim point
    Fourth shot = third hash on marked aim point

Then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfurious View Post

then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.
    bada bing!!!

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Well then, here's an idea....

Take a 2 foot piece of cardboard and mark your aimpoint a few inches from the bottom. Now shoot it at 100 yards using a good solid rest, shooting a shot holding on each hash mark you want to know the spacing on. So if you have three hash marks you'd shoot 4 shots...

First shot = crosshair on marked aim point
    Second shot = first hash on marked aim point
    Third shot = second hash on marked aim point
    Fourth shot = third hash on marked aim point

Then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.
    That sounds good but there many variables (mainly me and my ability to reload) that can give me a false reading. I was looking for the actual numbers from Leupold. What kills me is that I have called Leupold twice this week looking for that info and I have not been given it. I know that at max zoom from the thick picket to the center of the reticle it should be around 8 to 7 inches, from the top cross hair picket to the bottom cross hair picket it should be 5 to 6 inches and from thick picket to thick picket is should be 14 to 16 inches. This I deduct from the cheat-sheet I made for the 30-06 winch was right on the money. Just trying to get the real numbers...
    Sent an email to leupold with a graphic as visual aid. Hopefully I will get a answer soon.