Thread: 11 TH XP - 6.5 Creedmoor

MilDot1000

11 TH XP - 6.5 Creedmoor

Hello All,
    New member, first Post.
    I have an Axis XP in .308- a real sub-MOA shooter, with a RifleBasix & Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40 BDC.
    Love this cheap gun!
    I'm seriously considering the purchase of an 11 TH XP in 6.5 Creedmore to reach out into the LD arena next year.
    Anyone have experience with this model? I know it's not going to be a Surgeon or a Robert Gradous, but if it shoots anything like my .308, I' m gonna have some LD fun.
    Thanks for all and any replies, and best to all.
    Last edited by MilDot1000; 10-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Panozguy
    I think most of us shoot the 12 LRP in 6.5 Creed, but I'll let others chime in. What distances do you plan to shoot at? My 12 LRP is absolutely MONEY from 400-700 and it's a bone stock rifle at this point. I just adjusted the trigger pull UP to 1 lb. It came from the factory with a less than 8 ounce pull!

Look at this target from yesterday at the range - a laser ranged 700 yards. The target is a standard spray paint can lid.

Not trying to talk you off the 11 THXP, it just really depends on what you are trying to do. Without having shot an 11 THXP, I'm going to say that it's going to be configured more to the hunting side. If you want to use it as a hunting rifle that is also capable of doing some distance work, go for it. Personally my 12 LRP is a dedicated 300 yards and up bench target rifle. I do shoot it prone as well but it's too **** heavy otherwise. You should at least look into the 12 LRP as it will have a lot of 'target rifle' features already embedded that you will have to do some extra work on the 11. All this is just my two cents having recently gone thru the same process. This gun is a great shooter - that's a 2" group at 700 yards, approximately .25MOA from a *factory* gun...that's as good as or better than many custom builds costing a heck of a lot more than 900 bucks.

Regardless, best of luck in your search - forget everything you might have heard growing up. These guns SHOOT.

Did I mention it's heavy?

M.O.A.
    I have the 11 long range hunter in 6.5 creedmoor and its great ;-) shoots every thing you can put in it sub moa. Most around .6 to .75 at 100 yards very little recoil and a pleasure to shoot.

Panozguy
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A. View Post
    I have the 11 long range hunter in 6.5 creedmoor and its great ;-) shoots every thing you can put in it sub moa. Most around .6 to .75 at 100 yards very little recoil and a pleasure to shoot.
    Seems me and you are in every thread about the 6.5, lol! What round do you use to hunt, and is it effective? I don't see me hunting with this rifle as it is just way too heavy...but just for informational purposes I would like to know what is humanely capable of taking down a whitetail. Berger VLD hunting? I've only shot target rounds thru my LRP.

M.O.A.
    Well I intend to use this 6.5 CM with 130 berger hunting VLDs should do the job rather nicely ;-)

Panozguy
    Well I intend to use this 6.5 CM with 130 berger hunting VLDs should do the job rather nicely ;-)
    Sounds good...best of luck in the field this year.

MilDot1000
    Thx for the info! Being relatively new to shooting, I don't have any early biases or bad experiences.
    I' m fortunate to be shooting with 2 veteran and very knowledgable guys. Combined with the wealth of info available here, I can avoid many of the pitfalls out there.
    I am going to use the Creed for targets only. I realize a 22" barrel isn't gonna get the job done over 500, but that'll have to do for now. Could it possibly reach out further with a 20 MOA base, a little better glass, etc?
    Will certainly try!! Being 71, any day at the range is a bonus:)- Thx again!

M.O.A.
    It will be fine out past 500 with out the 20 moa base! The 22 inch barrel maybe loses 200 fps over a 24" barrel so 500 Yates still won't be a problem ;-)

Panozguy
    It will be fine out past 500 with out the 20 moa base! The 22 inch barrel maybe loses 200 fps over a 24" barrel so 500 Yates still won't be a problem ;-)
    Agreed. My 12LRP is 26" barrel but there is a wealth of information out there that suggests even 20" barrels are fine at distance.

Mach2
    http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-11-65Creedmoor.htm

Congrats on the new Creedmoor. Here is a neat article on the lightweight 20" creedmoor by Savage

M.O.A.
    Heck look at the striker in 6.5 creedmoor that's on here it has a 16" barrel and I'm sure it shoots fine. I don't know what kinda velocities it get though

Mach2
    Heck look at the striker in 6.5 creedmoor that's on here it has a 16" barrel and I'm sure it shoots fine. I don't know what kinda velocities it get though
    MOA I did a search for the 16" Stryker but no luck. Can you post a link with a pic?

M.O.A.
    My bad it was a 6.5 wsm with a 19" barrel

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rst-2012-Blood!

P.S. This was over a month ago and I have a bad memory but it does have 6.5 in it LOL ;-)
    Last edited by M.O.A.; 10-10-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Mach2
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/arc.../t-141322.html

Has anybody read this about copper coated creedmoor bullets?

M.O.A.
    Read and looked through five different sites and its complete BS started by some small time ammo company that may or maynot of had a problem with the BATF for making turned brass bullets two or three years ago

Panozguy
    Read and looked through five different sites and its complete BS started by some small time ammo company that may or maynot of had a problem with the BATF for making turned brass bullets two or three years ago
    I got the same impression, MOA. Typical Internet BS.