Thread: Savage Striker/ Lisa draws first 2012 Blood!

358Hammer

Savage Striker/ Lisa draws first 2012 Blood!

A 14 mile back country 4-wheeler trip found us walking and stalking looking for deer. Winter of 2008 took 80 percent of our deer herd so we hunted but chose to preserve what was left.
    Lisa was hunting with her Ultra-light 6.5 WSM Savage Striker with a 19" Nitrided 3 groove Benchmark barrel. 70 grains of reloader 17 behind a 100 grain Nosler partition smokes that bullet along at 3500fps.

We spotted this buck about a mile away and began the up and down walk through the alders,devils club and waste high salmon berry bushes. Bugs were terrible. The wind was blwing from us towards the deer so we had to walk a long way around and actually came out ahead of where the deer were walking. They actually walked right in front of us and this big boy stopped broadside 200 yards away and that was all Lisa needed.

A double lung shot and it dropped like it had been shot in the ear. SO fast in fact that Lisa was cranking another round wondering where the deer went. I advised her that deer was down for the count. I have never seen a double lunged deer drop this fast and not even quiver.

Note: This bucks horns are so massive that I can not reach around the base up to the fork. AUtopsy reveals that this horned animal had well developed udder, a dick and no jewels. This is a huge horned/bodied deer weighing 200 dressed. The antlers are World record sized except they just aren't long enough tines and enough of them. This is a huge forked horn by Sitka Blacktail standards.

Neal
    Last edited by 358Hammer; 08-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.

NICE!
    Glad they invented 4x4 so your not the pack mule?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 358Hammer View Post

A 14 mile back country 4-wheeler trip found us walking and stalking looking for deer. Winter of 2008 took 80 percent of our deer herd so we hunted but chose to preserve what was left.
    Lisa was hunting with her Ultra-light 6.5 WSM Savage Striker with a 19" Nitrided 3 groove Benchmark barrel. 70 grains of reloader 17 behind a 100 grain Nosler partition smokes that bullet along at 3500fps.

We spotted this buck about a mile away and began the up and down walk through the alders,devils club and waste high salmon berry bushes. Bugs were terrible. The wind was blwing from us towards the deer so we had to walk a long way around and actually came out ahead of where the deer were walking. They actually walked right in front of us and this big boy stopped broadside 200 yards away and that was all Lisa needed.

A double lung shot and it dropped like it had been shot in the ear. SO fast in fact that Lisa was cranking another round wondering where the deer went. I advised her that deer was down for the count. I have never seen a double lunged deer drop this fast and not even quiver.

Note: This bucks horns are so massive that I can not reach around the base up to the fork. AUtopsy reveals that this horned animal had well developed udder, a dick and no jewels. This is a huge horned/bodied deer weighing 200 dressed. The antlers are World record sized except they just aren't long enough tines and enough of them. This is a huge forked horn by Sitka Blacktail standards.

Neal

Didn't know deer came from San Fran Sisco, but hey, this is a new world!!!

Looks like you unknowingly took out the perfect "cull" deer. Nice shooting. I have neck shot deer before, when solo hunting, and you really wonder, did I miss? Where the heck did he go? It is amazing how fast they drop.

M.O.A.
    that is one big he she deer.
    thats not the first i have heard of that happening, afew years ago in the papers around here was a 11 point doe it had 11 single spikes comeing staight out of it head and no junk

Rupe
    Nice Buckoe or is it Doeuck Well nice.deer. Nice to see an other critter.fall to a Striker.
    Congrates even if it was last year.
    Rupe