Thread: Does Savage properly torque down Accustock when shipped from factory?

Basic Member

Does Savage properly torque down Accustock when shipped from factory?

Just curious is Savage torques down the Accustock screws (hopefully the way the manual states) when they assemble/ship from factory? I checked my new weather warrior today and found the front screw loose around 18 in-lbs, rear seemed Ok as I torqued it down going back and forth.

thomae
    I guess you answered your own question.

"Trust, but verify."

Basic Member
    Not necessarily. If they are good with their QA and always do it, then perhaps mine came loose. Mine is a couple weeks old and I've had 2 range trips with about 130 shots down the barrel. I didn't know if that could loosen it up? Part of why I was asking.

I checked my manual and am surprised to see they do not recommend the same torque sequence for my version-2 Accustock (no wedge) as they do for my version-1 Accustock. I thought I should be following the same alternating tightening sequence up to 40 in-lbs....but it doesn't say to do that. It just says tighten the front, then the rear. No torque rating.

Is 40 in-lbs still the right amount of torque for my ver-2 Accustock? I do prefer using my torque wrench and being consistent.

Basic Member
    i bought an model 16 in 308 back about 2 years ago. 1st trip to range i was all excited about the new gun with the "accu-stock" and after 15-20 rounds was highly disappointed in the thing. when i got home i cleaned it as always and noticed the barrel was hitting hard on the right side against the stock, thought that shouldn't be so i removed the action from the stock and found nothing wrong anywhere. put the action back in the stock and noticed the barrel wasn't hitting the stock any longer. i believe the "wedge" wasn't properly seated and mated with the recoil lug. torqued everything done as it should be and can't be happier with it!!
    i think IMO that Savage's quality control needs much improvement!

Ishooter
    I just got a Savage this year and couldn't get better than 1.5" group. Got on site here and was told to reseat the stock. Now I get .5 to 1" groups. I can get the 1" groups with not to much trying. The .5 I have to work at. You all have a great day.

Basic Member