Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Savage action to use for a 6.8 SPC II barrel

Paid Member

What Savage action to use for a 6.8 SPC II barrel

Let me start by saying I have a bad shooting shoulder and just can not shoot any magnums, even the 308 is too much normally. Also I have never owned a bolt gun, I shoot pistols and my AR 15s in 223 Wylde and 6.8 SPC II. I have two uppers that shoot 0.5 MOA at 200 yards, so I know AR's can be accurate. I built both my lowers and one of my uppers, and did trigger jobs on all my pistols.

Looking to build a Savage rifle in 6.8 SPC II under 7 pounds. The great thing about the 6.8 SPC II is it works great in 16 to 20 inch barrels.

I have been thinking of a bolt gun in 6.8 for a while.
    Both Ruger (Ruger M77 Compact Hawkeye) and Remington 700 (numerous models) all in outdated 6.8 SPC chamber, last produced several years ago.

But it seems the Savage could be the easiest to convert.

Any ideas to which gun would be the prefered gun to convert to an 18 inch to 20 inch 6.8 SPC II???

Which model as they seen to have many. I asume using the short action, but which caliber to start with, 223, 243???

Also having a great trigger would be a factor.

Just @ McGowen barrels, about $300 in Stainless which doesn't seem bad, but I really long for an ARP type barrel (5R) and chamber.

It seems the Ruger 16 inch barrel is too short combined with the old chamber, and the Remingtons are too long, so a 18 inch could be just right.

I really like the action to have stainless steel, but there are so many models and articles on building long and short action Savage guns.

My thought is the long actions like 110 and 111 will weigh more correct? So if I get a used Savage varmit or walking model in 223 I can get the reciever and perhaps reuse the stock.

I plan on getting from Sharp Shooters Supply their fluted bolt, their COMPETITION RECOIL LUG, and their barrel tool.

From Midway the Front Bolt Baffle, and bolt head both in stainless. I understand I have to get the 223 bolt head reamed out to the base size of the 6.8 brass.
    Does anyone make higher quality of these items?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by brasse; 09-27-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Well I don't have much to offer in the way of help but this sounds like a very cool project. I have been wondering why there have been no 6.8 SPC bolt guns. It is a completely respectable, 50 state deer cartridge. I have tactical shooting friends who swear by it for mulies and whitetails.

Recoil should be easy too. I would say leave the AR type barrels to ARs. The McGowan would probably serve you admirably. Best of luck with your project and update this thread with pics as you go!

Paid Member
    The reason I mentioned the AR15 performance barrel is the groving "ARP designed a 5 groove hybrid rifling similar to 5R with a low land to groove ratio to increase the bore area and lessen bullet deformation which leads to better accuracy, we have found that our 5R Melonite QPQ and S Carb. QPQ barrels consistently produce 60-90fps more than most SPCII 10 and 11 twist 4 groove barrels with the same loads. Hornady's 110gr HPBTs reach 2600fps from our 16" barrels and normally shoot under 3/4" groups at 100yds, with better shooters groups are 1/2" so they shoot better than some high dollar stainless barrels and most match grade 5.56s . Hornady's 120gr SST works very well on deer and hogs. With handloads it is possible to push a 100gr Nosler to 3000fps from a 16" barrel, nothing else with a 16" barrels comes close to the performance of a 6.8" He doesn't mention reloaders often get another 200-300 fps over the factory ammo.

Like I said I am getting 0.5 MOA at 200 yards with their 20 inch barrel.

I would be pleased to get that kind of performance from a Savage barrel for $170. But my AR weighs nearly 9 pounds a little much for hunting. But a 18 inch barrel with fluting could be made into an under 7 pound rifle, and hopefully under 6 pounds as I have to use a scope for these old eyes.

Get a short action .223, open up the bolt head, spin on a barrel and you're done!
    Not much info on a 6.8 SPC bolt gun so I thought I'd give it a try on a Savage action.
    Pac Nor SS 26" straight pipe chambered in the 6.8 SPC rather than the SPC II so I could start off jamming the bullets.
    Started off with 90 to 110 grain bullets and I'll go heavier as the throat wears.
    Takes about 5 minutes to open up the bolt head. Same extractor as the .223 and no problems. I single feed so no feeding problems.
    5 shot group, off the bench at 100 yards that can be covered with a dime.
    No scope change out to 440+ yards, just a little holdover and 10 out of 10 hits with ease. Mid range loads that are easy on SSA small rifle primer brass. .223 mag as a single stack should feed with no problem. Super good selection of .277 bullets to choose from.
    Never checked the loads over my Chrony. They're all almost going in the same hole so why bother. You don't have to be fast to be accurate!

Paid Member
    Got a photo of it? The 26 inch barrel is over kill, but your results are awesome. How heavy is that with the 26 inch barrel?

I have 500 of used SSA brass and another 200 Hornady brass, will be reloading all winter. Just purchased some 140 grain VLD rounds and some additional 120 grain to practice as the 120 is the hot ammo for deer and pigs

What is the did. in the 6.8 spc and 6.8 spc II? ????
    rule #2 always double tap

Paid Member
    The SPC was an early barrel spec,
    There are currently 4 different chambers for the 6.8 SPC which yield different results. They are: 1. The original SAAMI Specifications 2. SPC II 3. 6.8x43mm (renamed 6.8 ARP)(DMR has been replaced by 6.8x43/6.8 ARP,both are/were created by AR Performance.) 4. Noveske Mod 1 designed by Noveske Rifleworks LLC. Chamber specs 3. & 4. are proprietary. Only the rifles chambered with the newer specified chamber(6.8mm Spec II, Noveske Mod 1 and 6.8 ARP chambers) can safely use the higher pressure tactical & near max-maximum handloaded ammunition. Those rifles using the Original SAAMI specs should only be used with the standard commercial cartridge pressure (Specified by SAAMI)

Hum I have an encore 28" barrel that just says 6.8 spc on it its old so would it be the saami specs ???????
    rule #2 always double tap

Paid Member
    How good is the Savage parts from Pacific Tool???

For a Savage bolt, Pacific Tool or Sharp Shooter Supply???

I noticed Pacific Tool has a Short Action Savage Bolt Body - Spiral Ground Flutes for $98 that can be custom ground from STD 0.6995 to 0.700 inches. That could be usefull for older used recievers.

They have a bolt head already made in 6.8, for $49.50 making the 6.8 Savage really easy. There are a bunch of barrel makers that will do 6.8 but they tend to want to make 24 to 26 inch barrels. The 6.8 SPC II is somewhat unique in that it is so good with 16 to 18 inch barrels, and that is what I would want in a Savage 6.8.

You could get that Encore barrel changes to 6.8 SPC II easily with a throat reamer. But 28 inches is way too long for the 6.8

Look at barrel makers who will make barrels for the savage striker pistol. Direct from mcgowan you can get them made up to 17 inches. From Savage-Barrels you can get one up to 20 inches, and they cost a bit less than rifle barrels. They are small shank and will fit a regular rifle action. Just make sure it is over 16 inches!
    Trust Your Instincts

Personally, i would go with a 20" barrel, mainly for balance of the rifle. A shorter barrel does not swing very well from the Savage, in my experience. If no one makes the barrel you want, I would contact the various makers that DO make the specs you want and see if they would chamber and rifle to their specs and then either they or another smith could do the final cut and threading.

Surely someone out there will make a barrel like that, for a bolt gun.

When you order a barrel from most any barrel maker, (Shilen. PacNor, Benchmark, Krieger, Douglas, Shaw, etc.) they WILL thread and chamber it to the caliber "YOU" want and cut it to any the length "YOU" want. That's what they're in business for.

Paid Member
    I ordered the 6.8 bolt head from Pacific Tools the 3rd of Oct., got it today the 8th. So the first part towards my Savage 6.8

I really should order a barrel as they have long waiting times.

Paid Member
    brasse, where do you live that you had mail delivery on Columbus day? i'm lucky if any of the gov services would be open. LOL

Paid Member
    UPS, Got some ammo too.