Thread: Hog Hunter Fixed Sight Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I handled one at the NRA show back in April, and the sights appeared to be attached the normal savage manner. I liked the fact that after talking with Effie Sullivan while I was at the show, that the rear peep sight used on the Scout rifle, will fit perfectly on the Hog Hunter, since the Hog and the Scout use the same height front sight.
    Based on what Boots said, and since I have a the Scout in my inventory, the factory rear sight is a Williams WGRS-SAVAGE (For Savage 110 with round receiver) rear sight that is screwed on using the rear sight base holes. (I added this adjustable aperture to mine)and the front sight is a Williams streamlined ramp with a Williams .375" height, .250 width bead sight. I replaced mine with a firesight bead that was the same height and width and put a hood on it so it would not get damaged walking around the woods.

The above specs are for my FCM Scout. If the Hog Hunter barrel is thicker at the muzzle, the front sight blade on the Hog Hunter may be appropriately higher or lower.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-26-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Fixed Links

TraverseSavage
    The above specs are for my FCM Scout. If the Hog Hunter barrel is thicker at the muzzle, the front sight blade on the Hog Hunter may be appropriately higher or lower. [/COLOR]
    Would you mind measuring your barrel dia. where your front mount is located? I like your setup, but want something a little more open at the rear sight. Your front sight sounds like what I need though.

I just p/u the Hog hunter and it's measuring .75 +/- where the front bead is. And FYI if anybody needs to know, .9375 at the rear blade (barrel dia.). Was hoping for less taper, still a solid barrel though.

thomae
    TraverseSavage: At the bead, from about 1.5" to about 1" in from the muzzle, the diameter of the barrel is .598" to .592"
    If you unscrew the reticle that I have on the rear sight, you get a very open "ghost ring" type sight picture.

Rear sight with my adjustable reticle:

Rear sight without reticle (the rifle really isn't as dirty/dusty as the macro setting with flash makes it out to be):

Another view:

I hope this helps. I couldn't really get the camera to focus as if it were looking through the sights.

TraverseSavage
    Thanks thomae...here's a couple of pics of the Hog Hunter rear and front sight. Not a bad setup I suppose, just have worries of breaking the rear sight off:

What I want to do is attach a single EGW scope scope mount and install a peep on to of that. All the SOPMOD style rear folders I think will be too high. I've been using Brownell's sight height calculation tool:http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...ght_Calculator and it says my rear height should be .469, that would include the scope base.

I think this is my answer: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ER-BACKUP-BASE and then adjust my front height accordingly.

I want to install a scope with quick detach rings and have the irons as a back up

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseSavage View Post
    Thanks thomae...here's a couple of pics of the Hog Hunter rear and front sight. Not a bad setup I suppose, just have worries of breaking the rear sight off: (pictures deleted to save bandwidth)

What I want to do is attach a single EGW scope scope mount and install a peep on to of that. All the SOPMOD style rear folders I think will be too high. I've been using Brownell's sight height calculation tool:http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...ght_Calculator and it says my rear height should be .469, that would include the scope base.

I think this is my answer: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ER-BACKUP-BASE and then adjust my front height accordingly.

I want to install a scope with quick detach rings and have the irons as a back up
    1. I like the rear sight you linked to, although it is not adjustable for elevation.
    2. Williams makes different height front sight blades. Should not be hard to find the height you need.
    3. When you do replace your front sight, I'd go with the firesight. Much better visibility in low light conditions. (I originally had the brass bead sight as well).
    4. If you need a front sight blade pusher tool, let me know and you can borrow mine.
    5. Your rear sight base looks the same as mine. 10 to 1 odds that my "ghost ring" threaded aperture would fit into your rear sight dovetail. I don't know if that would serve your purpose, but it might. I also don't know if Williams offers it in different heights...might be worth looking at their catalog or calling them. If they do offer it, and if the sight picture is acceptable, that might be the easiest solution.

TraverseSavage
    Hi, wanted to apologize to the OP, 10th_Mntn for hijacking your thread :).

Thomae, your point number 5 is worth looking into. Matter of fact, I'm going to call Williams and find out if that will work. I also like the Firesight idea and maybe the dovetails will also match up with Williams' blades as well. The Hog's sight positions are fine, but I just don't like how high they are. I'm rough on guns and I can see myself breaking off that rear blade. I also like the front hood idea.

thomae
    I thought about the thread hijack, but as long as we are discussing putting iron sights on the hog hunter, I thought the OP might be able to glean some ideas from our discussions.
    The Firesight front blades are from Williams. They will match up. The only difference is the fiberoptic plastic bead.
    The front hood worked on my scout because there was already a slot cut into the front sight ramp. You have the "shorty" ramp without the slots for the hood. Purchasing the longer, streamlined ramp from Williams may solve that problem. I would presume that the screw holes are the same for the two ramps, but I'd check with Williams anyway.

In the 2012 williams catalog (
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2012_Catalog.pdf) they have come out with something that would fit your needs exactly called the "Ace in the Hole." The only problem is that it is not yet made for Savage rifles.

Looking through the catalog, it is clear that you can get several different "ghost ring" aperture blades to convert your sight to a ghost ring sight. They even have a fire sight ghost ring aperture that has two fiberoptic dots on either side of the aperture. See page 13 of the catalog.

If the new rear sight is too short, Williams offers riser blocks that add .250 " to the front dovetail.
    On page 18 of the catalog they show the Streamlined ramps that have the slots for the hoods, and also have step by step procedures for figuring out which front and rear sights go together on a tapered barrel.

I don't work for Williams nor do I receive any kickbacks. But I think that you may find a solution to your quest in their catalog. I have never called them, so I don't know how helpful their customer service folks are, but it is certainly worth a call.

Hope this helps!