Thread: What is the ideal scope for big game hunting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysavagerifle View Post
    I like 30mm tubes.
    That's cool; no problem. Since that extra aluminum in the tube adds weight, and since weight is what you're looking to reduce, I'd suggest making sure that whatever scopes you're considering actually utilize that extra main tube diameter. Many 30mm scopes out there use 1" internals, which is okay and all, but that really just means you're hauling around extra weight for almost no reason (you'll still have a slightly stronger tube vs 1" in case you drop the rifle onto a rock right on the scope). One might get additional adjustment out of a 30mm tube, but at 600 yards even a 308 with relatively slow-moving 175s will get enough elevation adjustment out of a decent scope (i.e. Leupold VX-2) to click-to-range instead of making you hold over.

On the other hand, I suppose one could say that those 30mm tubes with 1" internals are saving weight vs. a scope that actually uses 30mm internals. :)

Just something to think about...

mysavagerifle
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    That's cool; no problem. Since that extra aluminum in the tube adds weight, and since weight is what you're looking to reduce, I'd suggest making sure that whatever scopes you're considering actually utilize that extra main tube diameter. Many 30mm scopes out there use 1" internals, which is okay and all, but that really just means you're hauling around extra weight for almost no reason (you'll still have a slightly stronger tube vs 1" in case you drop the rifle onto a rock right on the scope). One might get additional adjustment out of a 30mm tube, but at 600 yards even a 308 with relatively slow-moving 175s will get enough elevation adjustment out of a decent scope (i.e. Leupold VX-2) to click-to-range instead of making you hold over.

On the other hand, I suppose one could say that those 30mm tubes with 1" internals are saving weight vs. a scope that actually uses 30mm internals. :)

yeah good point, i may go with a 1 inch tube. I noticed burris must not make black diamonds anymore. Its a shame, i realy like mine. Maybe they changed the name to to XTR. Theey look like black diamond but more tactical looking. i like their E1 reticle on the fullfields.

Quote Originally Posted by mysavagerifle View Post
    I noticed burris must not make black diamonds anymore. Its a shame, i realy like mine.
    ...I come back to the Weight deal... Black Diamonds were one of the heaviest things ever made....
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    ... Many 30mm scopes out there use 1" internals, which is okay and all, but that really just means you're hauling around extra weight for almost no reason (you'll still have a slightly stronger tube vs 1" in case you drop the rifle onto a rock right on the scope). One might get additional adjustment out of a 30mm tube, but at 600 yards even a 308 with relatively slow-moving 175s will get enough elevation adjustment out of a decent scope (i.e. Leupold VX-2) to click-to-range instead of making you hold over.

FYI... the Leupy VX-2 has 56 MOA of elevation adjustmnet (which is more than a lot or others). Now - if we assume a reasonably "straight" mount (where the center optically is very close to POA/POI, which is ideal I realize, but we have to start somewhere and this empahasizes my point) then you have approx. 28 MOA of maximum adjustment in elevation (56 / 2 = 28 MOA up and down). The data for a 165gr Nosler Balistic Tip (a very good to excellent choice in a .308 hunting bullet) would have a drop of approx. 18-19 MOA at 600 yards with a MV of 2600fps (which is a very reasonable MV for that type of load - maybe slightly slower). That doesn't leave alot of room for adjustments - but it will work. One could add a 10 MOA rail into the mount to ensure a better range of adjustments. Of course, one could always use a sufficent reticle and hold off if that is you prefered method.

The REAL purpose for 30mm tubes is for increassed adjustment in windage/elevation. The Leupold 3-9x is a more ideal scope (duh - and why not go that route?) given it's superior errectors and the 3x optics (4x optics - such as a 3-12x will lose significant range of adjustment). Using 1" optics in a 30 mm tube is NOT a problem or issue with respect to added/negated light transmission. One will NOT gain more than negligable light transmission from using 30mm optics in a 30mm tube over 1". You WILL get better light transmission with optimal coatings. Very important when considering a hunting scope which must perform in low light conditions (and when does a hunting scope NOT have to perform in low light?)

In summary - you are correct (to a point)... there is enough adjustment with the right scope (and that assumes that you make those adjustments at the turrets vs hold off/over). But the purpose of the 1" glass tube optics is NOT about anything more than significant gains in windage/elevation over negligeable gains in light transmission (and definately not about any weight savings).
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]