Thread: Bought my first hunting rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I had a rfile that the bolt head would catch on the edge of the action, right at the corner of the port only when there was another round in the mag. After pulling the bolt back then start to push forward it strips the next round out of the mag. As I pushed it forward to chamber the round, the next round in the mag or the mag feed lips pushed up on the bolt & caused it to hit the edge of the action just as it was going in. It was an older stagger feed 110. I had to adjust the mag feed lips a little to hold the next round a little lower.

The metal the mag was made of was real springy & did not bend very easy. I eventually got it all aligned to where if functioned OK. The magazine may be sitting a wee bit high and need to be adjusted accordingly. I recall someone at Savage telling me they didn't make that style of mag any longer beacuse of reliability issues & such.
    I didn't have a lot of experience with Savage or any rifles at the time so I didn't bother to take it apart. I later found out I could have / should have pulled the action & check out why the mag was too hi.

He may be dealing with a similar issue, if it's not the action screw hitting the bottom of the bolt head on the way in.

Later........ Off to the SALT MINE.

Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 09-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!