Hi there, new member here. I guess I should have joined a year ago when I bought a Savage .22, but I didn't.

Anyway, I just purchased a Savage Alaskan Guide in 375 H&H. Will be picking it up Sat. and then won't see it for a couple of weeks while it ships and DROSes its way into California.

I have a couple of questions about this limited edition, mainly because I want to start shopping for a replacement stock, but also just for general information. There's zip on the Savage site about it.

What I know about the AG is that it's a 116, they were made as a special run in 2006, and are a pre-Accutrigger, flat top rear action with a 20" barrel, blind magazine, and the CRF bolt and ejector mods. Here's a link to the ad, with pics:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/524264...375-h-h-magnum

So, questions:

- Is it safe to assume that this is a staggered feed magazine gun? I understand that 2006 is in that transition period to center feed, but this seems to be an older design in most ways (it has the wrench cuts for the barrel nut, for example).

- I understand that the action screws on the LA guns are all the same distance, but that the mag well openings were cut to different lengths to accommodate short, long, and magnum cartridges. Would this be an issue for an aftermarket stock, or should anything that purports to fit a 116 staggered feed (assuming point 1 is correct) work?

- Same question for scope bases - should any one-piece 116 base fit?

- Again for stock fit purposes, where is this barrel in terms of thickness? I saw where Savage makes their magnum barrels slightly larger than "normal", but it isn't a bull barrel. Should most "sporter" barrel stocks fit or be able to be fitted? (Yes, I debated posting this in the Stock forum)

Anything else I should know or note about this rifle? If there is routine work that they (the AG or 116s in general) need, it'll be sitting at a gunsmith's for a couple of weeks and it's possible I could get a trigger job or other work done while it waits.

Thanks much!

KeS