Thread: New Boyd's Classic in pepper w/ stippling for my 110

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by les strat View Post
    Funny thing with my rife.... the longer bolts you have to order going from plastic to wood stocks.... I had to use the longer one at the trigger guard, but when I used the replacement blot in the front hole, my bolt action would lock up and not move. The shorter stock one works, so that's what I went with. Strange.
    That's because the longer bolt was going all the way through the floor of the receiver and protruding sufficiently inside the chamber to impede the bolt as it turned.

les strat
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    That's because the longer bolt was going all the way through the floor of the receiver and protruding sufficiently inside the chamber to impede the bolt as it turned.
    That's what I figured, so although Boyd's says I needed the longer bolts, I did not on the front bolt.

I zeroed the rifle in today. Got it cloverleafing at 50 yds, about an inch high at 100 yds.

I tell you what I do miss on that tupperware stock... that Savage P.A.D.! Without it, A dozen 30-06, and I 'm done. The thin rubber pad on the Boyd's doesn't absorb much. That P.A.D. really tames recoil bigtime. I may see if it fits on the new stock.
    Last edited by les strat; 09-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.

thomae
    If you have a workshop, get yourself a limbsaver or similar aftermarket pad and fit it to your stock (Perhaps you could take the PAD and fit it to the Boyd's stock?). I invested in a buttpad jig from Midwayusa and my first Pachmyer Decelerator installation looks absolutely wonderful (If I say so myself.). You might want to cut down the stock a bit because the pad will be thicker than the one currently on your Boyd's stock.

I am working with a Boyd's Thumbhole for my next build. I will be replacing the stock pad with a Decelerator.

I like the looks of your stock. Looks much nicer on a rifle than in the Boyd's advertisement.
    Last edited by thomae; 09-13-2012 at 05:12 AM.

les strat
    Thanks!

Looks like that's what I will be doing. Appreciate the input.