Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New to Savage--tried an Axis, big mistake!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    I just picked up the savage from the pawn shop this morning and the scope on it currently is a joke. I was thinking getting a nikon in the 300-50 dollar range. Your thoughts?
    My 2 cents--and I hasten to add that I'm no expert in scopes since I haven't tried a lot of different ones--is that you can't go wrong with a Nikon--and their spot-on program, custom turrets, zero resets etc make them a huge value for relative beginners like me. In your price range you can actually get some of their better/best scopes, so it's only a matter of figuring out what you want to use it for. I've got a Monarch, slughunter, buckmaster and P 223 and they all work great for me. On my Axis 270 I just got a buckmaster 6 x 18 x 40 with side focus from Midway USA--it's on sale for 324.00 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte) and it's really nice to have a scope that you won't need a spotter scope to see where your shots land inside 200 yds. : ) I don't really want to spend any more than $300.00 or so dollars on a scope for my Axis--that violates the "sacred code of the cheapo." : )

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    My 2 cents--and I hasten to add that I'm no expert in scopes since I haven't tried a lot of different ones--is that you can't go wrong with a Nikon--and their spot-on program, custom turrets, zero resets etc make them a huge value for relative beginners like me. In your price range you can actually get some of their better/best scopes, so it's only a matter of figuring out what you want to use it for. I've got a Monarch, slughunter, buckmaster and P 223 and they all work great for me. On my Axis 270 I just got a buckmaster 6 x 18 x 40 with side focus from Midway USA--it's on sale for 324.00 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte) and it's really nice to have a scope that you won't need a spotter scope to see where your shots land inside 200 yds. : ) I don't really want to spend any more than $300.00 or so dollars on a scope for my Axis--that violates the "sacred code of the cheapo." : )
    Yeah I was thinking of that same scope.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Matt - Don't be a potato head. buy good glass

Check out Natchez. They're running a Nikon thing with rebates & discounts. OR.... Try Walfart where I got my Nikon. You might score a good deal there.

Ya know Therm, we're birds of a feather. I love it when I shoot next to a wanna be BR shooter & he's telling me about all the things my Edge or 110 doesn't have.

And then I shoot a round thru his scattered group. Or I see him checking out my target when he's fixin his up down on the target line.

There is something almost unethical about shooting one hole 5 round groups with a $200 rifle.

I love it.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Matt - Don't be a potato head. buy good glass

Check out Natchez. They're running a Nikon thing with rebates & discounts. OR.... Try Walfart where I got my Nikon. You might score a good deal there.

Ya know Therm, we're birds of a feather. I love it when I shoot next to a wanna be BR shooter & he's telling me about all the things my Edge or 110 doesn't have.

And then I shoot a round thru his scattered group. Or I see him checking out my target when he's fixin his up down on the target line.

There is something almost unethical about shooting one hole 5 round groups with a $200 rifle.

I love it.

Frank in Fla
    Haha Nikon buckmasters are good glass!

And tomorrow if we do go shooting, it's going to be a nightmare with this scope on the 110...

My biggest beef with Barska is that it's made-in-China "stuff" and if it flies south, you are toast. I bought their biometric rifle fingerprint safe and it arrived totally screwed up--had painted over rust blisters and the print scanner ceased working after a few days. A repair or replacement required boxing and shipping at my expense--which amounted to about as much as the piece of junk costs. There's always a gamble when doing the dance with cheapo.

Basic Member
    I don't care how you slice it or dice it.... Even if you have a Barska product that works (like my scope)....

Barska still sucks moose meat.

Their warranty is horrible. Your better off just throw it under the bench for spare parts. Learn your lesson. And go buy something that'll last, function properly, with a good warranty (like Vortex).

So Matt,.....
    Congradjies on the new rifle. Welcome to the Brotherhood or the Barrel Nut. Welcome to your new addiction & OCD. Become a paid member here & enjoy the 24hr help line & treatment for addiction & OCD....

Do you have a cleaning kit? When I looked at that .270, it needed to be de-coppered. The barrel needs to have the spiders chased out of it.
    Pick up a cheap one at Wally's place & a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9. I always have my kit with me so we'll have a look see at it.
    The scope will be sufficient for now. I wouldn't expect groups under .425" or anything but it's a great start.

I gotta get back to work or I won't have enough ammo for tomorrow.....

Later -
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    I don't care how you slice it or dice it.... Even if you have a Barska product that works (like my scope)....

Barska still sucks moose meat.

Their warranty is horrible. Your better off just throw it under the bench for spare parts. Learn your lesson. And go buy something that'll last, function properly, with a good warranty (like Vortex).

So Matt,.....
    Congradjies on the new rifle. Welcome to the Brotherhood or the Barrel Nut. Welcome to your new addiction & OCD. Become a paid member here & enjoy the 24hr help line & treatment for addiction & OCD....

Do you have a cleaning kit? When I looked at that .270, it needed to be de-coppered. The barrel needs to have the spiders chased out of it.
    Pick up a cheap one at Wally's place & a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9. I always have my kit with me so we'll have a look see at it.
    The scope will be sufficient for now. I wouldn't expect groups under .425" or anything but it's a great start.

I gotta get back to work or I won't have enough ammo for tomorrow.....

Later -
    Frank in Fla
    Ahh I forgot to get a cleaning kit at dicks. I have some solvent and a boresnake that I can run through it though.

Basic Member
    Don't worry about it.

We'll just find a stick & some wet sand. Drag the stick in & out of the barrel with a little wet sand...

We'll have that puppy shining like a brand new penny. And that's about all it'll be worth, too.

I always bring a rod, patches, Hoppes & all that other stuff.

We'll manage to struggle along.

Basic Member
    I have MY AREA in the house decorated the way I want it...... And my wife said I can.

Those are targets I use for OCW testing. I used them to cover all the junk on the shelves in the garage when I took the shot.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I used powder can labels for covering on all the cabinets & tool box. I peel them off when the can is empty & stick them to everything in the garage. It looks pretty good...... Kinda like a collage.

Basic Member
    See you tomorrow morning, Frank.

Have fun guys! If the rains and winds hold off, I may give the phoenix a go later today.

Basic Member
    Have fun guys! If the rains and winds hold off, I may give the phoenix a go later today.
    You might see Frank's .243 barrel for sale in the classifieds real soon haha.

You might call me a sissy but that .270 was a PITA today. I shot about 40 rounds and I still feel it haha. I'm most likely to get it switched to .243.

The simmons garbage scope that is on it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 100 yards? Lol a .22 could do better than what I did.

I've googled around and tried to get some info on recoil suppression--there are "shock absorbers" you can buy and put inside the stock, but from what I've read the jury is out if these do any more than simply filling the stock with some lead. There is some suggestion that just the mental anticipation of "the big bang" makes the recoil issue seem worse than it is. My shoulder is usually a bit sore after firing a lot of rounds, but it's not as bad as firing a ton of shotgun magnums or sabbots in big shells--after a day of firing those bad boys I'll definitely have some shoulder tattoos. The big issue for me is muzzle lift when firing--makes it tough to get back on target quick. In fact, I'm real curious as to how quickly the bullet exits the barrel relative to when the recoil starts muzzle lift. Anyone?

BTW--what ammo were you using? Winchester was all over the place in my 270, but things settled down to near MOA once I switched to core lokt. The best all-around factory ammo that I've ever used that I can pretty much count on for consistently good results in whatever I stick 'em in is Hornady (any of the Max or superformance), but it's a bit pricey and I like to do the zeroing/break-in stuff with cheaper ammo first. I think you will get used to "launching artillery" as I like to call it after a while. : )
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Basic Member
    I've googled around and tried to get some info on recoil suppression--there are "shock absorbers" you can buy and put inside the stock, but from what I've read the jury is out if these do any more than simply filling the stock with some lead. There is some suggestion that just the mental anticipation of "the big bang" makes the recoil issue seem worse than it is. My shoulder is usually a bit sore after firing a lot of rounds, but it's not as bad as firing a ton of shotgun magnums or sabbots in big shells--after a day of firing those bad boys I'll definitely have some shoulder tattoos. The big issue for me is muzzle lift when firing--makes it tough to get back on target quick. In fact, I'm real curious as to how quickly the bullet exits the barrel relative to when the recoil starts muzzle lift. Anyone?

BTW--what ammo were you using? Winchester was all over the place in my 270, but things settled down to near MOA once I switched to core lokt. The best all-around factory ammo that I've ever used that I can pretty much count on for consistently good results in whatever I stick 'em in is Hornady (any of the Max or superformance), but it's a bit pricey and I like to do the zeroing/break-in stuff with cheaper ammo first. I think you will get used to "launching artillery" as I like to call it after a while. : )
    Yeah I shot a box of the core lokt and it actually shot pretty well. Also shot a box of Frank's reloads.

Basic Member
    Recoil supression???? COmplaining about recoil from a .270?

Maybe you should take a few Midol & hold a Maxi-Pad with some ice on it for a while...... When you feel better, we can chat over tea....

I would be concerned my Man Card would be suspended or revoked for such a statement. Recoil whining is for OVER 30 caliber only...

Frank "Chaplain" in Fla

Your 30 06 is almost gay compared to rem 7mm mag. : )

Basic Member
    That would be why I just got a 7 rem mag barrel. I was concerned when the Man Assoc. sent me a notice. It Mentioned 3 month suspension of my man card if I didn't own at least 1 magnum caliber barrel....

@ Frank: Try firing off a bunch of 3 or 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnums and let me know if that counts for membership in the manly man trigger pull association.

Basic Member
    @ Frank: Try firing off a bunch of 3 or 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnums and let me know if that counts for membership in the manly man trigger pull association.
    Haha, how old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Haha, how old are you?
    54 in 3 months--old enough to get the AARP/NRA discount ammo card.

Basic Member
    I have no problem qualifying. SOmeday I'll tell you about shooting with my son & his Mossberg 835. I think 30 inch w/ full choke.
    3.5" rounds take 2 peolpe if you weigh under 140 lbs.

After that weekend my chirpractor kept asking me "is it really worth it?"....

I had to respond with yes, of course..... We're MEN... That's what we do as MEN.

I mean, after all..... You want to take up knitting or something? Maybe make a little patchwork quilt?

I have no problem qualifying. SOmeday I'll tell you about shooting with my son & his Mossberg 835. I think 30 inch w/ full choke.
    3.5" rounds take 2 peolpe if you weigh under 140 lbs.

After that weekend my chirpractor kept asking me "is it really worth it?"....

I had to respond with yes, of course..... We're MEN... That's what we do as MEN.

I mean, after all..... You want to take up knitting or something? Maybe make a little patchwork quilt?
    Well, you might appreciate this--my 870 tactical build before Remington came out with one. Got my rifled sabbot tube on for the pic

Here are my favorite sabbot rounds; Winchester partition golds to the left and Hornady SST's to the right. I love the way they look like miniature ICBM's in silo's : ) I've never had much luck with Winchester ammo in any rifle--but for some reason it's da bomb out of my shotgun (a 385 grain puppy)--I've done a 4" grouping at 50 yds and 6" at 100 (forgot about that) and it leaves holes bigger than 50 caliber. : ) Even the AR and AK noisemakers are taken aback when I show up with this at the range.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.

BTW, my cheapo project for today--my home "adjustable monopod" that I made from 2 x 4 scraps and glued rubber doorstops to. Notice the slope of the doorstop matches that of the stock, you raise and lower the rifle by sliding it fore or aft. : )

Basic Member
    Odd that you should mention trouble with Winchester ammo.....

I had still another problem with win brass. I think they send all the defective brass here to central Florida. And I end up getting it.

I fire 3 Federal cased 90gr .243 Noslers to sight in & then fire a Win cased round. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew something wasn't right. I eject the case & it's covered with soot. Flashed over.
    I fire another..... same thing. I stop & close the box. Retreive a different box of ammo with Rem cases. No problem after I removed a bunch of soot from the bolt face & chamber.
    I hate Win brass. Or maybe it hates me. Either way, I avoid it. THe onl reason I have it was the local supplier only has Win brass. I was waiting on some Fed & Rem from Midway
    By the way, cool looking shotgun. I have an old Jacksonville PD mossberg with wood furniture. A little heavy but handles nice. It's an old 500 that I reworked for close range use. I thought about tacticalizing it but I like the way the wood looks & feels.

I'm done for the day..... See y'all tomorrow. Monday sucks.

Frank in Fla

Odd that you should mention trouble with Winchester ammo.....

I had still another problem with win brass. I think they send all the defective brass here to central Florida. And I end up getting it.

I fire 3 Federal cased 90gr .243 Noslers to sight in & then fire a Win cased round. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew something wasn't right. I eject the case & it's covered with soot. Flashed over.
    I fire another..... same thing. I stop & close the box. Retreive a different box of ammo with Rem cases. No problem after I removed a bunch of soot from the bolt face & chamber.
    I hate Win brass. Or maybe it hates me. Either way, I avoid it. THe onl reason I have it was the local supplier only has Win brass. I was waiting on some Fed & Rem from Midway
    By the way, cool looking shotgun. I have an old Jacksonville PD mossberg with wood furniture. A little heavy but handles nice. It's an old 500 that I reworked for close range use. I thought about tacticalizing it but I like the way the wood looks & feels.

I'm done for the day..... See y'all tomorrow. Monday sucks.

Frank in Fla
    I always thought it was just me--so others are "winchester challenged?"

I started out with a plain old wooden 870 express. One day I was having fun sorta rapid firing (hard to do with a pump-action) which I tend to do hard cause I don't want to short stroke. I ended up taking a big splinter from the wooden forend deep down into the palm of my hand--a big reason I go plastic.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast