Thread: Savage 12 VLP DBM in .204 (cleaning questions)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EAW

Savage 12 VLP DBM in .204 (cleaning questions)

Okay guys I was able to order it (the rifle) this afternoon from my favorite dealer. Should be about a week before my guys get it. However I'll be out of town and won't pick it up till the 31st.

So I've got time to order cleaning supplies specifically for the 204. I'm really going to clean during the break-in period and then only occasionally after that to prevent the loss of accuracy.

I'm currently looking at the following setup. Unfortunately there is no parker-hale jag available for 20 caliber that I can find so I'm going with a different setup.

I'll be buying a Lucas bore guide first of all. (12 inches in length)
    42 inch coated nylon rode from Dewey. Would Have gone Tipton but the longest rod they have is 40 inches and with a 12 inch bore guide+26 inch barrel+whatever the length of the receiver area, I figured 42 was better. (advice would be appreciated)
    going to be picking up 5 20 caliber nylon brushes from dewey to start
    and dewey's 20 caliber brass jag.

Not going to be using brass brass brushes... going to let the chemicals do the work.

Planning on using this with hops #9 and pro-shot 1-1/8 cleaning patches in the 22-270 caliber - again any suggestions?

Other suggestions I found where to use a dewey rod with the adapter so you could use the pro-shot spear point jags and the above mentioned patches. Really wish parker-hale had a 20 caliber jag available. Other suggestions I found came from here. http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8758 (my apologies if posting another website is frowned upon.)

I'm not going for white glove clean, I'm going for functional clean. I'm trying to get the carbon out, maximize barrel life and accuracy. A little bit of copper here and there (even after cleaning) is to be expected in a factory barrel, but I would expect this to improve after break-in.

The advice of other .204 shooters would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by EAW; 08-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.