Thread: Am i the only person

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am i the only person

Am I the only person in the world that can not get a 308 Win to shoot good?For a little back ground read "Someone Please Explain".
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...please-explain
    I spent time over the last few days loading rounds at 43 grns. of IMR 4895, 155 SMK at seating depths from 0.030 to 0.065 off the lands,all previous were from 0.005 - 0.025. The results were horrendous at this point I am even to disgusted to meassure them(that bad),all with a custom barrel with a 1:12 twist done just for the 155grn. bullet.
    My uneducated guess is this is just a bad barrel,reason being it started life as a 30BR that would not group so it was rechambered to 308 and it still won't shoot. After close to 200 rounds trying to get something decent out to 200 yards this is coming off the action and will be replaced with either a Shilen or a Criterion, undecided what caliber 243 or 308, bull barrel.
    What realy burns me is I have a factory 20" model 10 LE that shoots under .85@200 with little load work up.
    At my wits end, I just can't figure out what is wrong.
    I won't divulge the brand of the barrel in an open forum because some how I feel I must be doing something wrong so I won't trash the makers.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 08-08-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow