So...I went out to the range today and after sighting in (had changed scopes to a Nikon 3-9x40 with more eye relief than the previous scope), at 25 and then 100 yards to make sure she was on paper, I did a 200 yard ladder test.

I only had time to do one "ladder" although I had loaded up enough for two ladders. (Things slow down when I don't have the range to myself.)
My methodology was shoot one round (using front and rear bags), walk 200 yards to target, mark target, walk 200 yards to bench, by which time barrel has cooled. Repeat as necessary. What with placing, marking and retrieving the target, I figure I walked over 3 miles. Pleasant stroll.

The load is 50-56 grains of Varget (.5 grain intervals) behind Hornady 250 grain interlock spire point (blemished bullets from Midway).

The very first shot with 50 grains of Varget was the one just above the center of the orange aiming point. I probably shoulda stopped right there . (What a confidence builder!) 50-51grains looks like a possible node, and possibly 52.0 (that's the hole on the line of the diagonal aiming point) and 52.5grains. Does this sound reasonable? Do you more experienced load developers see anything different that I have not noticed?

I will try a second ladder test next week or whenever I can get out to the range again. I know some people think 200 yards is a borderline short distance for a ladder test, but itthe longest distance at my local range.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to comment. My proposed methodology will be to try to find a node, then see if I can get a bit more precise on the powder load, then work on seating distance.

I guess I'd like to get some confirmation that I am proceeding in the right direction along the appropriate path.

Thanks very much.