Thread: Bedding my new 7mm rm

Nandy

Bedding my new 7mm rm

I have a choate varmint stock with aluminum V blocks and I wan to bed this long action rifle. I have read a bunch about "why not" and "why yes" to bed these type of stock and I have made my mind that I will do it so please lets not turn this post into a debate about why doing it.
    I dug up a post that I had in my bookmarks for years on how to do this (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...2&nt=14&page=1) but now the post pictures are nicer but have nothing to do with bedding job. Can any one refer me to a link with the process and good pictures? I have search a bit and I cant find a decent one. I love post with pictures because I am very visual. I have a general idea of what has to be done and how but I still want that reference.

Thanks for reading.

Basic Member
    maybe this one will help.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Basic Member
    I will be interested to find out if bedding the Choate makes any improvements for you. I also have the Varmint and a Tactical, and by the witness marks the action appears to be supported well by the v-blocks. But there may be something to gain with a more precise fit at the recoil lug. Keep us posted on your results.

Nandy
    The witness marks on mine did show good but not perfect contact:

What I needed the most was to add bedding surrounding the recoil lug. When I finish converting this rifle to a switch barrel the bedding together with the stock will work as as action wrench.

As it looks now right after removing the action. Will do a little cleaning and then will mount it all back...

This is a new build so i have nothing to Compare it to until I put the 06 barrel back. It was shooting sub moa at 100 which is not that impressive but clover leaves always make my heart happy...

cgeorgemo
    The member here "Armed in Utah" uses the Choate stocks quite a bit and he may be able to tell give you some advice if you PM him