Thread: Which bolt head

mrslippery

Which bolt head

I'm considering changing a 111 .270 CF to a .223. I'm already building a 7 twist .223 on a 110 that was a .223 from day one, but I recall something about a LA.223 bolt head being different. If I use baffle #956092 from midway will a standard bolt head work? If not what head work work, and where to buy one. Thanks for the help, Slip.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mrslippery View Post
    but I recall something about a LA.223 bolt head being different.
    Yes a long action bolt head is diferent it has a longer collar. 223 long action bolt heads are hard to find, and are nearly non existant. If you attemp to use a short action bolt head on a long action what you end up doing is create a VERY dangourus situation.

If I use baffle #956092 from midway will a standard bolt head work?
    Nope the front baffel has nothing to do with the bolt heads, and they are universel between long anction and short action, and everything else.

If not what head work work, and where to buy one. Thanks for the help, Slip.
    Your only option is to buy a change over kit from Sharp Shooters supply, that safly alows use a short action bolt head.

Midway and Brownell's also sell parts.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Your only option is to buy a change over kit from Sharp Shooters supply, that safly alows use a short action bolt head.
    Could a competent machinist make a bushing to stop the FP from thrusting a 1/4-1/2 inch into the primer?

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Could a competent machinist make a bushing to stop the FP from thrusting a 1/4-1/2 inch into the primer?
    Yep.

Silver solder it to the LA bolt head and you should be GTG.

Probably need to go with a SA FP spring.

Basic Member
    I'm considering changing a 111 .270 CF to a .223. I'm already building a 7 twist .223 on a 110 that was a .223 from day one, but I recall something about a LA.223 bolt head being different. If I use baffle #956092 from midway will a standard bolt head work? If not what head work work, and where to buy one. Thanks for the help, Slip.
    you will need an extended front baffle and LA bolt head, my LA bolt head shown requires an large firing pin and large hole bolt head retainer.
    i have pic of the SA bolthead and the LA bolthead so you can see the difference in length. with both boltheads you would need the extended front baffle as shown. i was lucky enough to find mine on one of the forums. hope this helps some. good luck!

I recently made a 223 from an old 7RM action. Luckily, I found a LA 223 bolt head. I also used the legged front baffle. I also used a 223 centerfeed mag box epoxied into the mag well.

Works very slick.

The long action 223 bolt heads are tough to come by. I'd be very tempted to try a spacer with a short action bolt head just to prove that it works.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

mrslippery
    Wonder if PT&G would make one if I send them the LA head I have?