Thread: 35 Whelen, initial results. (Teaser!)

thomae

Smile 35 Whelen, initial results. (Teaser!)

I finally got to shoot the 35 Whelen that I built using a 110 270 staggerfeed action and a 20" magnum (varmint?) countour Shaw barrel I purchased from Tammons.

I"ll have pictures up eventually and discuss the whole build, but for today, I just thought I'd share my initial results.

Using a cheap Simmons 3-9x40 scope I had laying around, after getting it more or less sighted in, I shot a 1.146 MOA 100 yard 3-shot group (Rice bags) and a 1.117 200 yard 3-shot group (bipod).

This was using a "random" midrange load of 53 grains of Varget and Hornady 250 grain interlock spire point bullets from the MidwayUSA blemished bullet sale. CCI 200 primers and reformed Lake City 30-06 brass that I purchased from someone else on the forum (or was it Tammons as well?)

Lessons Learned:

1. I need to tweak the magazine lips because the cartridges are releasing too early and then, because they are not in a nose-up position, they bump into the chamber end of the barrel instead of going into the chamber.
    2. I need to use a different scope. The scope I was using was "gently" kissing my nose with almost every shot. I'll have to see if I have (or else purchase) one with greater eye relief.
    3. The 35 Whelen is a real thumper from the bench. It weighs 8.6 pounds unloaded, so it is no lightweight. Hunting should be no problem, but I am glad I was wearing my PAST magnum recoil shield today.

I still have to do load development with the Hornady 250s as well as with some Nosler 225 accubonds I have.

In the photos below, please note that the lines are actually slightly less than 1 inch apart. 5 lines apart equate to 4.474 inches.

(...and yes, I did adjust my scope a little between targets...).

I can't wait to see what kind of groups I'll be able to work up!

ellobo
    I also built a .35 Whelen with a 24 inch Adams and Bennet barrel which is like a magnum countour. Tweaked 3 screw, from a 30-06 original flat back reciever. With a 6X weaver K6. After sight in with Remington cheap green box ammo the first three shots were just under an inch. Subsequent groups were the same or better as the barrel broke in. Got the same results with 225 gr. and 200 gr bullets. Sitting here I dont reme.ber the exact laods but I can getthem for you if you want. Since then I have added a Second hand Savage laminate stock and it is a nice looking rifle. Oh, and I used a stainless barrel nut and trigger guard as well. To me the rifle recoils was no worse that an 06 with 180 gr bullets but I am not recoil sensative. Love that rifle, I should shoot it more.

El Lobo

Basic Member
    59-62 grains of RL-15 with a 225gr bullet will be the ticket also.