Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
Dang boy! You like to scare people at the range don't ya! Very nice! I have been drooling on the 110BA in .338 lapua but you give that one a run! Makes me want to get my 110 rebarreled! I was thinking about a .416 but your little gem sparks some interest! I'm 155lbs soaking wet so the heavy set-up and muzzle brake would definitely be a plus otherwise I think if I shot it I would have to scoot my chair back to the bench after every shot! Have you done muzzle energy computations?

Fire forming in the garage? Gee you like shaking the rafters don't ya! My wife would keraaap her bloomers if I did that!

Got reamers that can be rented???

The Duke
I have been accused of just going to the range just to make everyone else mad!

I did get a little more load work done. I backed the 350gr MK down to 3050fps for now. I still need to work on the seating depth to fine tune the groups though. I may need to switch powders though since H1000 is heavily compressed with the current load. I really can't seat the bullets in any deeper and maintain an accurate OAL. The muzzle energy of a 350gr bullet at 3050fps is up over 7100 fpe. That's enough to get the job done! Using Sierra's published BC of .805 for the 350gr MK, with a 100yard zero and a muzzle velocity of 3050 the drop at 1000 yards is 20.44 MOA. A 338 Lapua with a 300gr MK at 2800fps and a 100 yard zero drops 25.45 MOA at 1000.

The current load I want to get ready is a 300gr Accubond for hunting. I did some tests using the 300gr Sierra Pro Hunter and Reloader 17. This time I was using fireformed 404 Jeffery brass in stead of the Ultra Mag brass. I won't say how fast they were going, but it's fast enough that they can't be very safe. No pressure signs, but I just didn't feel like they could be safe. I only fired 3 and I plan to pull the rest until I can verify the info. Hopefully I'll get out next weekend to do another round of testing.

Recoil isn't that bad. I'm only 150# myself and I don't get tossed around too bad. The weight of the gun and a really effective muzzle brake help a lot. In fact the gun tracks surprisingly well in the bags. Recoil is straight back and feels similar to a 300 mag. As for fireforming in the garage, it's not that loud. It sounds like a 22lr going off. But I bury the muzzle in a cardboard box full of old clothes to muffle the sound and contain the mess. High velocity Cream of Wheat and toilet paper can be pretty messy!

Andrew