Thread: Pre-Fit 308 Savage Barrel

supergolfer18

Question Pre-Fit 308 Savage Barrel

Looking for a pre-fit barrel for my Savage 10 308 Win. Looking at Shilen, McGowen, and ER Shaw. Will not be shooting matches but want the best value for accuracy over my stock sporter barrel that came with gun

Any suggestions on which way I should go?

Also am going to be getting a B&C Medalist stock or a Choate stock for the rifle

Thanks

82boy
    IMO Opion Shilen is the "Best value for accuracy" I rank then up with the top barrels made, every bit as good as a Kriger, hart or other Competition level barrel.
    I rank a ER shaw in the same catagory as a factory barrel.

supergolfer18
    now I am having to decide barrel contour.

I have had 3 mcgowens in 308 and all three have been good shooters. One of those however was outstanding!

I dont think you will go wrong with either the Shilen or the mcgowen
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Had 2 different Shaw barrels. They HAD problems before a re-tooling, which was something like 10-15 years ago. That stigma seems to be stuck with them on the net though....
    If you AREN'T going to be attempting to win matches, why pay $3-600 for a barrel? $150-200 for what you are after will give you the same end results, plus you can afford the stock then.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Savage22-250
    My dad has a shaw 308 barrel from midway. It's about a .5 moa barrel. He says it's nearly as accurate as his 6br Shilen. Plus it was under $200 in stainless varmit contour with a barrel nut wrench. Sounds like a deal to me.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by supergolfer18 View Post
    now I am having to decide barrel contour.
    I prefer a #7

supergolfer18
    so difficult to decide. called Jim @ NSS to try to get me set up

supergolfer18
    anyone know how accurate stock savage varmint contour barrels are?

Basic Member
    Almost all of the popular barrels will shoot very well. Barrel makers such as Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Criterion will all shoot very well. Most of these barrels are going to be around $300.

Perhaps more important than who makes the barrel blank, is who chambers your barrel. There are several great smiths that can chamber your barrel.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

supergolfer18
    0k now only thing is whether to go with 22 or 24" barrel or the 26" he has in stock.

will shorter barrel help in accuracy? Read some stuff online where it stated this

82boy
    anyone know how accurate stock savage varmint contour barrels are?
    Each barrel is different, but from what I have experinced with an experinced shooter, and tuned loads, a Factory barrel will shoot better dirty or fouled, with 5 shot 100 yard group averaging around 1/2 inch with an ocasional group or two that will drop down into the mid to low .3 area.

A good aftermarket barrel will shoot avearge groups in the .2 to .3 area with an experinced shooter, and tuned load.

0k now only thing is whether to go with 22 or 24" barrel or the 26" he has in stock.
    will shorter barrel help in accuracy? Read some stuff online where it stated this
    No,
    You want the barrel to be optimal to the cartridge. Many people thing that short range benchrest shooter use short barrel for accuracy, the truth is they use short barrel to make weight standards.

I have a 308 barrel you might be interested in. Sent you a PM.

supergolfer18
    Shilen Select Match is on its way from Jim @ NSS. Great guy and was very helpful

supergolfer18
    Stock just arived

How do I remove magazine from old stock to put in new one? It is a centerfeed with the magazine in the stock not a DM

Basic Member
    nice looking set-up, what length barrel did you end up with?

supergolfer18
    26" Shilen Varmint contour on it's way. This is my old setup I put in just to get a feel for the stock

Stock just arived

How do I remove magazine from old stock to put in new one? It is a centerfeed with the magazine in the stock not a DM
    Gently grab hold of the front of the mag with a plier and pull up, or gently pry up with a screw driver.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

supergolfer18
    rjtfroggy: That was exactly how to get that thing out. Pulled up on the black tab with pliers and it popped out

Thanks for the help

supergolfer18
    anyone wiht Shilen Select Match know if the chambers are near min spec or middle of the road?

I am looking at Forster FL dies and their National Match Series says for match chambers since they are usually at min spec unlike factory barrels that are mid tolerance? So was wandering if this is what I need or if reg sized die would be better?

Thanks

Basic Member
    get a hold of Jim at NSS again and he should have that info for you. so far that's a nice looking rig you got. i'm looking at the OD stock myself, hear they are nice!

supergolfer18
    That last pic was factory savage sporter barrel in the new stock....Here is the new rig with the Shilen Match Barrel

Is that the Bell and Carlson A2 Medalist stock?. I am looking into buying one when i get a savage 10. I have yet to see that color though, I love it. I am thinking about a 22" barrel though in blue for hunting.

supergolfer18
    yes it is. It is the black with silver webbing got it from http://www.redhawkrifles.com/ Great people too if you need to call them to make sure it is right stock or need any help

supergolfer18
    shoots very well so far. Smallest group with my 308 has been 0.3 MOA. Does not foul too quickly either