Thread: LR .243 WIN build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mbkmkk View Post
    taylorce1

Good info and I have a few questions.

Why RL-22 with the A-Max but not the 107SMK?

I am guessing that you are jumping the A-Max by at least 80 to 90 thousandths, and just wondering why so much jump?

I have also been surprised with RL-22 and velocity compared to QL in a 243WSSM.

In my 243 Win I have been using RL-15 just to burn the powder because I have a ton of it and am getting close to 2950 with the A-max right at 5 thousandths off the lands. I liked slower powders in the 243 Win but wanted to burn the RL-15 in a plan 8-twist Shaw barrel.

Thanks
    It was just a starting point. I started with book COAL from my reloading manuals several referenced 2.710 as the length for the cartridge. I haven't tested the new magazine to see what the length I can seat, my old mag would only feed 2.8" length cartridges with 100% reliability if they were any longer the would jump out of the magazine too soon and sometimes fail to chamber properly. Plus I'm using OCW to find accuracy which focuses on finding the charge to deliver consistent accuracy in different rifles not just tailoring a load to a particular rifle

I'm looking for powders that will get me around 2900 fps with bullets that are in the 105+ grain range. When my 115's come in I'll be doing a similar thing to see what kind of speed I can get out of them, hopefully around 27-2800 fps. I just looked up the powders that would vet me close to my velocity goals, and the figured out what I had on my bench to try.

I hope that all makes sense as it is hard to type this from my phone.
    Last edited by taylorce1; 07-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.