Quote Originally Posted by leo158 View Post
Will the Flat base be more accurate at those yrds than the boat tails.
Not realy,
The old wive tales of a flat back bullets are only good untill this yardage, and a bolttail bullet will not stabilize under this yardage, is a load of hoopla. I have done both, shot flat back bullets competitivily out past 1000 yards, and shot boattails competitively at 100 yards. It is basicly getting the load to work. (Now rememeber there is a diference between a boat tailed bullet and a VLD bullet.) As far as sierra bullets, I could never tell a single bit of diference between a 52 gr Boat tail, and a 53 gr flat back SMK, and if I had to pick one, I would say I have had better luck with the 52gr boattails. The new trend in Benchrest shooting is a 13.5 twist 6PPC and shooting 65 gr boattailed bullets, I have done it, and they do shoot well, but I dont think they shoot any better or any worse than a flatback. In 600 yard bechrest I prefer the BIB 108gr flatbacks to most boattailed VLD bullets, I find that they just shoot better for me. Most VLD bullets will not shoot well at ranges under 200 yards, but I have gotten them to preform exceptionaly well at 100 yards, it depends more on the barrel, and how a barrel preforms at 100 yards, is not predictor on how it will shoot at 600 or 1000 yards.

I had to go to Sirra web site to figgure our what a 1365 gameking is, and it is a 55 gr boat tailed bullet. If it works for you then go with it, I generaly find that in almost ever 22 cal barrel I have that the 55 gr bullets do not shoot well, and I have confirmed this with others. It is just something about the weight. I would sujest you go with a 50 gr bullet like a 50gr v-max. I would guess that your limited by the twist in your gun (as may are) with a 1 in 12, the faster twist guns with the heavier bullets have a ton more knockdown power.

Moral of the story, is flat back, or boat tailed will shoot the same , it depends more on the personalty of your barrel, and tuning the right laod.