OK, I've kinda been down this road before, but not with this round. My goal, is basically a reloadable version of the 22 WMR, BUT in centerfire. Thus the reloadable part. I have no desire to try and reload rimfire cases, at all. My reason, is today while at a local Big 5 store, was pricing 22 WMR ammo, and the prices varied from $15 to 18 for a box of 50.

Now I know there are cheaper sources, online, but they add ridiculous shipping fees, well over actual cost. With the components as cheap as they are, I could reload something like the Long Snapper for pennies. I also know the above round is rimmed, and won't feed in the Savage.

For those like me, that had never heard of it before today, here is a pic.

As you can see it is very close in size to the smaller magnums, and load data I have dug up show a 40gr bullet at around 2000fps, right there with the 22 WMR.

Some questions.

Anyone have any experience with this round?
Would this work as a single shot, in a Savage SA?

On the other side of things;
Picture courtesy of Steves pages http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd22hornet.jpg

Looking at the base end of the cartridge (22 Hornet) which seems to be the parent cartridge of the Long Snapper, could a rim be machined SAFELY into the base or would that make it too thin around the primer area?

If the above idea is not a good one, would the Savage bolts work with the rimmed case, to just eject it?

This round in 17 or 22 cal, being reloadable, would be ideal, for me.

Before you ask, my other options are 22LR, a little under powered for the 100-125yd shots (ground squirrels are the main target), although perfectly fine for the 50 and under.
Going the other direction, the 223 I have is a bit much in the noise dept. I live rural, but do not want something as loud as the 223 blasting away. In addition, I have tried reduced loads, close to the WMR, but they seem wildly inaccurate. This I assume is because of the greatly reduced loads, not providing consistent burns inside the case.
I fell the 22 Hornet would still be too much for my needs as well, so the Savage 25 is out.

I would rather buy a barrel, dies, and brass and redo a current rifle, than buy another one.

One other question, who would I contact, about possibly a special run of brass, ie. a rimmless version of the Long Snapper?