Thread: 2" difference between cold shot versus warm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Billcurtis
    Nipper something to keep in mind is that as your ammo starts to warm up it will increase in pressure. I notice this is very pronounced since we have such hot weather. Once your rifle and ammo stablize in temp. It will shoot to the same point.
    I live in Indiana and we have been having Texas weather here this summer. I noticed what you are seeing yesterday when taking my room temp rifle out to the range in full sun, the temp was over 95 and there was little shade, I stuck my shooting box under the bench to keep my ammo from getting to hot, once the gun and ammo reached the hot temp aimpoint stablized. I was shooting at 100 yd. closer would be less effected.Yesterday my first five did the climb each shot , second five grouped normaly, and it did the rest of our shooting time.
    Bill...
    Quote Originally Posted by nippr View Post
    Hello guys, first post. Last fall I bought a MKIIF with accutrigger. It was mainly to use teaching my nephew's 12 yr old son about shooting. But I've had a lot of fun shooting it as well. ;D 3 weeks ago, I put a scope on it to use in a little friendly competition at a local get together.

Here's the pattern that it does. Cold, first shot will be about 2" low. Second shot will be about 1" low. It will be on zero by 3rd or 4th shot. And it will stay on zero while continuing to shoot. To rule me out, I had 2 other experienced shooters test it over the weekend, with similar results. (One of them owns a MKIIF, and he said his cold shot averages 3/4' high). Scope is fine, mounts and bases are tight, stock isn't touching barrell, and action screws are tight.

I can't say wether it has done this all along, because it had only been used as a plinker, until I put the scope on it, and shot it from a bench.

Admittedly, I haven't cleaned it for awhile(150 rounds?). I was reminded of that over the weekend when I had 2 extraction failures for the first time, using CCI Minimags. That's all I've shot in it. I gave it a good cleaning yesterday, and hope that will help some. ;D

I'm just curious if this is normal. Any one else have similar results?

Thank you.

nippr
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcurtis View Post
    Nipper something to keep in mind is that as your ammo starts to warm up it will increase in pressure. I notice this is very pronounced since we have such hot weather. Once your rifle and ammo stablize in temp. It will shoot to the same point.
    I live in Indiana and we have been having Texas weather here this summer. I noticed what you are seeing yesterday when taking my room temp rifle out to the range in full sun, the temp was over 95 and there was little shade, I stuck my shooting box under the bench to keep my ammo from getting to hot, once the gun and ammo reached the hot temp aimpoint stablized. I was shooting at 100 yd. closer would be less effected.Yesterday my first five did the climb each shot , second five grouped normaly, and it did the rest of our shooting time.
    Bill...
    Thanks, but on both days of testing, both the rifle and ammo were outdoors for a few hours, and the pattern continued. First 2 low, then rest on zero. Let rifle sit for 20-30 minutes. Then the first 2 low, rest on zero, etc....

nippr
    Update;

I called Savage last week and asked them to call when my rifle was being shipped, so I would know when to expect it, and arrange for neighbor tio sign for it. They called today. She said they shot two 3 shot groups at 100yds, with Federal gold medal, and both groups were .9". Not what I expected to hear. And that they were going to ship it back tomorrow. We had a little friendly discussion. I told I was confused how the rifle was shooting the first three cold shots about 2" apart at 25yds, using different scopes, shooters, and good ammo, including Wolf Match 40gr, but it could now do three cold shots at 100yds under an inch. ?????????

As stated, it was a friendly discussion, and she said they she would check with the shooter and a service rep, and call me tomorrow.

As also stated, I'm just confused. Not angry, or making accusations, just confused. I guess I'll know more when I get it back and take it to the range. Hopefully, I'll get it by Friday, so I can take it to a big get together at a local range on Sunday. That way, I can have others shoot it in case the problem reappears.

I'll update when I know more.

Thanks, guys.