Thread: IMR 7828 & 25.06 Rem

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

IMR 7828 & 25.06 Rem

I picked up some 85gr, 100gr, 115gr, 117gr. bullets for my 25.06. Recent test shooting shows H4831 & IMR 4350 work quite well for the 85gr Nos BT's and the 117gr SST's.

My neighbor & fellow reloader (no hope for this guy. He's a confirmed Remington addict & hates Savage) gave me a 1/2 can of 7828 & said to have a go at it. His words - "works great in my 700 with 115,s & 120's. It ought to do great in your Savage bean shooter"... Whata creep.

Any of y'all using any of the bullets I listed with 7828? I'm looking for a starting point, of sorts. I see IMR 7828 listed as a useable powder for the 25.06.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Frank in Fla (rainy, wet, hot & sticky humid Fla....)
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member

Re: IMR 7828 & 25.06 Rem

My luck with H4350 and H4831 has been so good that I have never tried 7828, but I have a buddy who gets great accuracy and velocity with it. It is more temp sensitive than the Hodgdon Extreme powders, but with you living in FL that won't be an issue. It probably provides the highest safe velocity in the .25-06.

Basic Member

Hey Hitch.... How goes it? Rainy (possible) weekend here.... again. I sneeked outta work early to go shooting, Checked the radar weather map & it looks like maybe I should start building the ark & gathering animals instead.

Anyway, it looks like 7828 would be a nice slow powder for the application & I figured What the heck... it's FREE. SO,' I'll have a go at it.
    Much like yourself, in the 3 times I shot the rifle, I used 4350 & H4831 with incredible results. Why look for trouble?...

Thanks & have a good weekend.

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

It would be going well if I hadn't pulled a muscle in my back one day before I retired. I haven't shot a single cartridge. My first act of retirement was supposed to be to play golf for the first time in twelve years on the first day of retirement. A new 9-hole course has opened one mile from me, but my clubs are still in storage. Today is the first day that I awoke without pain, but I am still stiff.

If the back holds up, next week should see me on the range with my new Savage left hand .223, my ar 15, my 22 K Hornet, and my daughter's boyfriend's .30-06.

Happy shooting.

Leon

Basic Member

Leon -
    If you're dealing with back trouble, you unquestionably have my sympathy. I've been dealing with it since 1988. I never had the surgery for it, either.
    It comes & goes. I know I wouldn't be playing with a 30-06 with a back acting up. I just got home from shooting mine with 180gr Noslers over RL-19. I need to call my chiropractor now.....

Anyway, stay well. Maybe find yourself a young(er) companion to make you feel younger...... or kill ya.

I never did get to fire my home rolled rounds with the 7828 in them. Ahhh well.... There's alway tomorrow.
    Gotta clean a couple barrels.
    See y'all later.
    Frank in FLa