Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 and a Black bear

Basic Member

Re: .308 and a Black bear

from my experience wit the 308, the bullets over 180gr are a waste. They take up too much powder space and will compromise bullet performance, and that is the last thing you want.

The 308 loaded with a 165gr TSX will most likely never offer you a chance to recover the bullet on anything you shoot in FLA or most anywhere else. It just drives right on through, tearing up flesh and bone on the way.

If you want outstanding terminal performance, stick to bullets UNDER 200gr. If you want to see a pretty mushroom, go with a heavy softnosed bullet. my choice is for the damage and it would be the TSX.

There is a reason most factories do not load bullets over 180 for the 308, they are not needed.

Team Savage

I am a fan of the TTSX bullets of all variety and mostly all I shoot, but the heavy round nose bullets for me were more for a slow moving brush load for hog hunting.

200 or 220 gr roundnose is about perfect for that. I can get 2400 fps with a 220 gr roundnose over RL17 or a few other powders and that will give me the same muzzle FPE as mostly any other 308 load. Its a 50-100 yards round max.

I have a 338 I load with 250 gr GK's that I usually take into the woods.

okie2

Buy a savage 30-06 then you have more choices as to what barrels you can change it to and 308 will work on a long action

Team Savage

I/we already have too many rifles already.

2 30-06's, one semi auto (old faithful) and 1 remi bolt action (shoots very tight), 2 308's (one real sako), several 243s, 223, 6.8 spc, 338/284, 270 weatherby magnum deluxe and quite a few more.

I have a Savage control feed magnum long action I am going to build another heavy hitter on. Either a 338 win mag, 338-06, 375 ruger, 416 something, or a 458 win mag. Cant see why I would need another 30-06. We actually have a box of 220 gr 30-06 shells sitting around somewhere.

pa_wdchuckhuntr

I sold a Remington 760 to a buddy this summer for a "brush gun" for bear season. He loaded it up with 165 Gameking SPBT and took it out. He found a bear the second day of PA's bear season. His first shot was with the bear facing him. The bear then turned and ran broadside to him and he got 3 more shots off at before it collapsed 30 yds away. After the hide was removed he found the first shot had entered the front of the chest an exited just above the tail, another shot went through the stomach, one of them was a miss and the last shot, presumably, went through the front shoulder and spine and exited. I figure the first shot would have killed it quick enough but he's not one to leave it to chance.
    His bear dressed out at 492lbs with an estimated live weight of 582lbs. I think that should qualify the 308 for black bear.
    Jeremey

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    I/we already have too many rifles already.
    Huh?
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Harry Snippe

Well I am in the North Bay Canada district and have seen some big black bears . I have seen a few walk away from a 270 W round that was not placed the best , but then again seen two animals shot deader than dead- with a Marlin 336 in 30/30with the 170 Gr. Cup and core bullet .

So you do not need anything Fancy for your 308 . I would just load a 180 Gr. and be well gunned.We had good results with the 180 Speer Grand slam under 100 yards .
    Do some research as the vitals are a bit further forward than most people think, so you might just gut wound a bear even with a 300 WM . In the fall they carry a lot of fat so a heavy bullet gets the nod .
    Ever heard a wounded Bear ? The remorse would send Satan to church asking for forgiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Janoski
    Sierra make a 220 HPBT MK and a 240 HPBT MK but I've never seen them in a commercial load by anyone.
    Problem with these is Sierra states that the Match King bullet is not for game it is target only. They do not expand when striking game animals and Sierra recommends their Game Kings for hunting purposes.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

MSG Janoski

Having dough out or "found" many Sierra HPBT MatchKing of various weights from medium and large wt deer, mule deer, elk even smaller antelope I can attest that hollow point MatchKings mushroom nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12