Thread: Tightening rear screw on Savage 10FCP HSPrecision stock

josey88

Tightening rear screw on Savage 10FCP HSPrecision stock

Guys, I have a problem ... Brand spanking new, unfired 10FCP-5R heavy barrel 24" fluted, HS-Precision stock . I noticed that the action screws were loose so I tightened them to 35 lbs each . Then I went to try the safety and it was stuck ... I then took the action off and everything looked perfect and worked correctly , so I put the action back and the problem is the rear action screw ... if I tight it up it a little , the safety won`t work . The front action screw is ok at 35 lbs . What can I do ? the rear action screw once it gets tight a little , has to be loosened one complete turn in order for the safety to work . Should I leave it like that or what can I do to tight it up ? I really need some help on this ... Thanks

Re: Tightening rear screw on Savage 10FCP HSPrecision stock

The first thing I would check is the tang- it must be floated. If it's not, it will not take much interference to bind the saftey. I'm learning that when I adjust the safety with the action out of the stock and it's perfect, then I install it into the stock and tighten the action screws, and it becomes tough to operate the saftey, it's because the tang is making contact with the stock. Pretty common at times- and easy to fix.
    Mike

josey88

Well, if I tighten the rear action screw , the trigger`s tong safety would not move , consecuently the trigger would not work and the safety will not move either. Something is touching the mechanism when the screw is tight up , that blocks the trigger mechanism . Once I loosen the screw a little , it works perfectly . Anybody have encounter this problem ?

cgeorgemo

Look to see if the action is making contact with the stock at the tang. It sounds like something is binding up back there.

Basic Member

Place a shim under the trigger guard and try it. If that works, the trigger guard is placing pressure on the trigger assembly. Find out where and relieve it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

josey88

It is definitely not the Tang . It is something at front , where the trigger`s tong safety mechanism is ... something is bending or pushing the safety mechanism on the trigger that completely inmobilizes the trigger`s tong safety when the rear action screw is tighten ... I still have not been able to find out what it is. I put some red nails paint on the aluminum skeleton where the action sits , but it is not there , so maybe the trigger guard ... I`ll keep looking

josey88

Found the problem ... Someone at the factory , (when the rear threaded hole that holds the trigger`s guard screw to the aluminum skeleton was made ) inserted a very small plastic plug at the other side of the hole to plug it so it would not be seen (big f%#@ deal). That plastic plug was not filed enough and was protruding almost 1/8" out exactly under the tang at the bottom on the aluminum skeleton , right under the trigger mechanism that calibrates the trigger . That mechanism has a spring and when pressure was applied to the action by tightening the action screws, it tightened against the skeleton and that 1/8" protrusion compressed the spring of the mechanism enough so that it released the tong safety , freezing solid the trigger and of course , the upper safety stopped working all together .
    All I had to do was take off that 1/8" remaining plastic plug and , voila, everything was working perfectly. I am so glad that it did not ocurr to me to start tampering with the calibration of the trigger that BTW , it is very light ,( I think it is 2 lbs )and it is fine for me .
    Everything works perfect, now . What a stupid , moronic problem this one was ...!!!!
    Because the rifle had the action screws very loose from factory , there was no way to find out the problem until the screws where tighten up .
    Anyway, I am happy that it was such a minimal thing , so all is well .
    Thanks to all for their help
    Both action screws are now tightened at 35 inch/lbs

Glad you figured it out. I think it's rediculas that action screws would be loose right out of the box. That's like buying a new car and driving off with the frigin wheel nuts loose and oil pan bolt finger tight. Savage really needs to step up to the plate with there qaulity control.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

maddogg316

I would not even screw around!

put accurizers in it and bed it!
    all problems will go away

quote--> (put accurizers in it & bed it)
    dumb question what are accurizers ?
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

maddogg316