Thread: lightweight tacticool savage rifle

hank440

lightweight tacticool savage rifle

Gentleman

Your mission should you accept it, is to help me design a lightweight tactical style savage rifle.

specs

it should be under 10lbs with scope and 10 round DBM

The barrel should be not more than 20" and of a contour that it won't heat up and change POI
    after the firing of 10 rounds in rapid fire.

go to it

Hank ;D

stangfish

Re: lightweight tacticool savage rifle

money is of no object?

hank440

YES money is a hard to come by object, that I work many long hours for

Basic Member

OK...I'll bite...

Savage 10 or 110, preferably an OLDER 1990's 110FP with a three screw trigger. But a newer SA 10 with accutrigger would save a few oz too.

Savage/Shilen/CBI/Rock 20" Heavy barrel sent away for Spiral Fluting or heavily fluted along its longitudinal axis...if $$$ isnt an object a ABS Carbon Wrapped barrel $900

McMillan Game Scout stock using the Edge Technology option ($91.00) this gets you a graphite cloth stock, lighter weight fill material and aluminum pillars. I understand they are just shy of 30oz, that's UNDER two pounds for the stock.

Bed the stock might add 2 oz but worth it.

EGW 20MOA Picatinny rail and Burris Extreme 6 screw rings add 6oz

CDI DBM with a 5 round is 9oz, add maybe 3 more oz for a 10rounder. Also factor in your removing an oz or two of material when you inlet it for DBM.

SWFA's NEW 20x42 MIL/MIL scope for $299 at 21oz or Leupold MKIV ER/T 6.5x20x50 at $1599 and 22oz.

Dont add a bipod, get a dedicated shooters bag like this TIB http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ter...x#.T61r4cXJA2wto support the rifle. Also acts as a rest to prop your rifle on to...

This is my next build...trying to get a 110BA or 110FCP 338LM action to build on...mine will be in 300WM with a 24-26" tube...

Capt Beach

hank440

I think a heavily fluted barrel is an unnecessary expense, you would be better off just going with a lighter contour like a heavy sporter with no fluting. It would be plenty stiff at only 20".

The Edge technology on the Game scout I feel is wasted also as the stock M40 stock is only 32 oz but use it on the m40 stock and cut another 6 to 8 oz.

EGW rail is fine but leupold 4 screw aluminum rings will do the job and be lighter than the burris rings.

CDI is fine no problems there

really a 20x fixed scope ??? why not the 10x model ? same price, same weight faster on target and more forgiving eye relief.

cgeorgemo

10 FCP-SR have the barrel cut and crowned then add a scope and rings....

hank440

DUH Why didn't I think of that except for the crappy stock which will have to be changed out for a better one

nsaqam

I can't imagine the Game Scout EDGE weighs 30 ounces.

Most EDGE stocks weigh 22-24 ounces.

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by hank440
    DUH Why didn't I think of that except for the crappy stock which will have to be changed out for a better one
    Just noticed that the barrel is fluted. I'd probably re-barrel it and sell the takeoff barrel.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    I can't imagine the Game Scout EDGE weighs 30 ounces.

Most EDGE stocks weigh 22-24 ounces.
    You might be right...30oz might be standard Game Scout

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    Just noticed that the barrel is fluted. I'd probably re-barrel it and sell the takeoff barrel.
    Put me first in line if you want to sell that barrel! I'd be happy with either 223 or 308.

Kevin

Basic Member

I can help you out , I just pulled 2 barrels , one is a 223 small shank sporter and the other is a 308 small shank heavy barrel .Both are for sale Pm if interested

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by snowpro440
    I can help you out , I just pulled 2 barrels , one is a 223 small shank sporter and the other is a 308 small shank heavy barrel .Both are for sale Pm if interested
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a medium contour, threaded barrel.

Kevin

cgeorgemo

Become a paid member and post them in the classified section you'll most likely sell them quick. I've bought 8 barrels from members off the for sale section.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraftmech76
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a medium contour, threaded barrel.

Kevin
    . ....... I just pulled the 308 barrel from a 10 FP

tacticalj

lightweight and tactical don't generally end up in the same sentence! Most "tactical" type stocks are heavy, so that can be a hard part in and of itself. I guess when money is no object then it's possible. Just buy a factory LR rifle and you can shoot out to 1100+ yards....I saw it on TV! Problem solved and it's probably as light as it's going to get. Otherwise your putting a heavy barrel on, a heavy stock, and don't forget optics! Maybe the new 40mm tube scope that IOR (I think it is) is making!

hank440

yes I know I'm just trying some practical ways to reduce the weight. My light rifle is 15lbs and my heavy one is 19lbs. I would like to be closer to 10 lbs. ::)

stangfish

hank440

XLR at 3lbs 13 oz it weights the same as my Choate tactical and costs 3x as much :P

stangfish

XLR at 3lbs 13 oz it weights the same as my Choate tactical and costs 3x as much :P
    While cool, the Choate is not even in the same league as the XLR. ;D

TacticalJ is on the money. Light and tactical are not synonymous. But scout rifle might be what you are after.

nsaqam

10# ain't light.

hank440

it is if your tactical rifles are 15-18 lbs then 10 lbs feels real light. :-* :-* :-*

I have already tried the obsolete "scout rifle" concept, it works well for snap shots but not much else.

Aircraftmech76

it is if your tactical rifles are 15-18 lbs then 10 lbs feels real light. :-* :-* :-*

I have already tried the obsolete "scout rifle" concept, it works well for snap shots but not much else.
    Pretty much!

Kevin

JCalhoun

Believe it or not, the factory plastic stocks are as light as you can get.

If you need light weight, grab one of the new lightweight hunters in .223 and send it Fred to cut the barrel to 20 inches and install his Acme magazine conversion.

Aluminum bases can be had from just about anybody.

Basic Member

Don't know that I buy that about factory stocks being as light as you can get...

The 11LW rifle Savage offers is 5.5lbs utilizing a wood stock...today's composite stocks, not the factory tupperware but the offering of McMillan with its Edge technology using graphite cloth and Manners with the carbon fiber option on their stocks can offer tactical stocks in the under 30oz range...add one to a 11LW and possibly be at 5 or maybe even a little under 5 lbs...remove the factory tube and substitute a Lothar Walther Ultra LW barrel (steel liner sleeved in aluminum) at 2lbs (varmint config) and you might have a really light weight tactical rifle...

Capt Beach