Thread: Have a 6BR....want to add 30BR Barrel?

Have a 6BR....want to add 30BR Barrel?

What do I need to do to use a "switch" aftermarket 30BR barrel with my F Class 6mmBR?

Thanks,

George

Eric in NC

Re: Have a 6BR....want to add 30BR Barrel?

Barrel nut wrench and an action or barrel vise, BR "go" headspace gauge, dies, brass and that's it.

catfish

You can definitely get by with just a barrel nut wrench. I use a pair of wooden blocks with a hole drilled using a hole saw about the diameter of the action to brake loose stubborn factory set nuts. I put one end of the blocks in a bench vise and the other end i put a pipe clamp on. Once they are broken loose they are never tightened that tight again and can be loosened with just a hammer and the barrel wrench. I just set my headspace to a new resized round then back the barrel off right at or just under 1/8"( not 1/8 turn) and lock her down. I think between me and my uncle we got to have 5 savages and probably 15 barrels. But i dont like switching barrels. I probably have 5 new factory barrels ive removed.

Team Savage

Removing the barrel the first time is the hardest. They come off pretty easy after that. I don't even use blocks after that. Slide the nut wrench on, wrap the barrel with rags and chuck it in a vice. Smack the wrench with a steel hammer and it's loose. Smack the wrench to tighten the nut back on and you're done.
    Never had one come loose on maybe 10 barrel swaps. I don't even bother with an action wrench anymore.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.