Thread: model 11 223 hunter xp range pics and report

airaddict

model 11 223 hunter xp range pics and report

Ok. I finally had a chance to zero my new savage. Heres the lowdown and results of the outing.

I got a new savage model 11 in 223rem. It is in matte finish which i prefer. It did have a smooth barrel nut which i removed with my pipe wrench and replaced the lug w a SSS lug and stainless grooved nut. The smooth nut did have a lot of thread lock on it and it took some real muscle to break it free bit it finally gave. This rifle is centerfeed and has DBM. The bottom metal is not metal but plastic but seems very sturdy. I prefer the real bottom metal cuz it just feels better but im not sure if i will replace it or keep it stock. The stock is of xourse the plastic type but feels ok. Once i torqued down the screws to 30 inlbs the forend didnt flex to much but ill prob bed it w devcon since it does have pressed in pillars from the factory.

The trigger is a whole nother story......it looks to be the axis trigger. I know its not accutrigger cuz ive had one before and this one does not look like it. Its prob got a good 5 lbs pull and i will fix that soon enough. This range trip was to zero and start load testing.

My load was r-p brass w cci primers and a dose of 25.7 gr of varget topped with a 52 gr amax. The chrono was reading right at 3000fps which is a bit slow for a 52 gr bullet but i got decent accuracy.

The barrel is of course sporter contour and i wanted to heat it up to see how it moved. My poi moved downward once i ran enough rounds to warm it up to hot to the touch.

Here is the best 5 shot group of the morning while i was zeroing the rifle. The one pulled shot was my fault and it was the 5th shot of the group. I got anxious and lost concentration with such a heavy trigger pull. Thanks.

brian

ellobo

Re: model 11 223 hunter xp range pics and report

I don't think you have anything to complain about Bubba.

El Lobo

airaddict

Nope. I was pretty surprised since this was with no load development at all. I wanna keep this rifle lightweight and in a sporter contour. I may replace the stock for a better syn stock if bedding turns out to not help.....but i think it will. I didnt get much copper fouling either. Just light traces.

Brian

cgeorgemo

OK so no Accu-Trigger?
    What's the difference between one of the 11 Hunter XP and a Stevens 200 besides the scope base and rings? The DBM?

leo158

I got the trophy hunter xp and it comes with accu trigger and nikon 3x9bdc. The stevens doesn't have the detachable mag. If you hunt in cold weather the mag is a big plus for loading and reloading when temps get down to single digets. 504$ out the door for the THXP. I use to be a remmy guy way back when they built them good. But I have to say these savages are 5/8 and moa and with factory ammo (rem 55gr psp 22-250 and hornady 17 gr and 20 gr 17hmr) both accutriggers.

airaddict

I did look at the trophy hunter but i didnt like the bottom bolt release. Thats the only thing that stopped me from getting it. But the accutrigger was tempting. I actually like them. Ive tuned one down to 14oz but had a spare unaltered spring on hand for hunting.

Brian

leo158

bottom bolt release?

airaddict

Yes. Im pretty sure i saw the trophy hunter models had better glass and the bolt release in front of the trigger gaurd instead of the regular side release next to the receiver. iMO..... Im sure they moved it to cut out one milling job on the receiver and make it look more streamlined. I dont care for it but thats my preference. Does yours have the bottom bolt release or the side? The online pics all showed the bottom release.

Brian

leo158

Yes you are correct. I thought just had to pull trigger back. But have to slide button in front of trigger guard and pull trigger at same time to release the bolt. I have no problem with the bolt release where its at. It got the 3 position safety also.But its not needed as keep gun pointed in safe position.

airaddict

I had one in a weather warrior a while back and when i got a boyds FT i had some modifications to do to the trigger gaurd area to get it to work right and have the right clearance and i figured ide skip all that by staying away from those from now on. Now if i stumbled across one for the right price then i guess ill deal with the hassle then... Plus if ur gonna keep it stock then it doesnt really matter......but we all know the chances of that happened are slim to none...... 8)

brian

leo158

Allmost bought the weather warrior. I should of actually. They make the fcss with detatch mag also. I have to have the detatch mags on all my rifles. Just find it so handy to plop one in and get moving. No feeding shells in or out with bolt.