Thread: Help with scope

stonecold76

Help with scope

I am looking for a scope for my Savage modle16 .308. I will be shooting long range,100 to say 500 yrds. Need help in choseing a scope. I have been looking at the leupold VX-R but I have to wear glasses so I need something with good power out to that far of distance. Dont want to spend over 1000 so any help please?

hotbrass

Re: Help with scope

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP or SFP.

Basic Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

Sightron Slll or vortex
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39
    Sightron Slll or vortex
    +1
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

stonecold76

What is the diff. BetweeN the Ftp and the sfp

davemuzz

Good explanation of the diff. between FFP and SFP http://www.premierreticles.com/pdfs/...wToFFP-SFP.pdf

Tch2fly

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold76
    What is the diff. BetweeN the Ftp and the sfp
    In FFP scope the reticle will appear to change size in the view as you change the zoom but will actually stay the same size in respect to your target, this allows a mildot reticle to easily be used for ranging regardless of the zoom. A lower power the reticle can be so small as to be hard for some to use.

A SFP scope reticle will appear to stay the same size in the view but will change size compared the target as you zoom. In this case a mildot reticle is only accurate for ranging at a given zoom, usually max power, without doing additional math. At higher zoom the reticle may cover more of the target than desired, it really depends on the specific reticle subtentions.

Basic Member

For under $1k? That leaves a lot of options, but are you using it for paper only or also hunting? If the former, look at a fixed power 16x or higher. For hunting, I would suggest a 4-6 low end up to 20 or so top end. My favorite so far has been a Luepold VX3 8.5-25 (for stationary hunting), but they make a 6-20 that would work for well under your budget. B & C or Varmint Hunter reticle are great. You'd be looking at about $700. Check out CamerlandNY's Spring Clearence sale though. Great deals on demos too. I prefer BDC type reticles for ranges out to 600. For straight target shooting, the duplex/fine duplex/target dot type and even mildot work great.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

fivesomewhere

Leupold VX6.