Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
SSS does a diamond style of fluting to their bolts, and there is a reason why.

First, the straight line style of fluting clicks on the next round in the mag box if you plan on using a repeater. So you have to work past the round on every flute, making nose, scratching the brass, and making the rifle feel rough to operate.

Second, the spiral flute, This has a problem with the Savage design actions and using this style of fluting, because of the loose tolerances of the bolt fitting in the action, and the rear step in the back of the receiver. What happens is the bolt sags and each line of the flute hits this step, in both rearward and front ward movement. So you get a clunk clunk clunk feeling of the bolt as each flute hits this step. Also the bolt stops as it hits this step with the flute, also causing extra were on the bolt and the action.

Now a picture of the diamond pattern SSS uses. The bolt is lighter and just as smooth as it was before fluting. SSS also offers bluing and powder coating of the inside diamonds making a different angle of a cutom look. I hope this helps you make up your mind.
[img width=600 height=222]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/HPIM1813.jpg[/img]
It definitely did. Thank you for your feedback, I will just send my bolt to SSS to have them work their magic.