Thread: Looking for scope info

bigkahuna1019

Looking for scope info

I just puchased a Savage Model 12 FV and am looking for a decent scope for it. The gun will be a dedicated coyote gun. I'm looking at a Simmons Predator Quest scope at 6 - 24 x 50mm. Anyone have any experience with this scope?

Team Savage

Re: Looking for scope info

I've never been impressed with the newer Simmons scopes. It won't have the clarity and brightness you are looking for at the higher power settings. I would look at the new Vortex Crossfire II in the same price range. Great value for the dollar spent and no hassel warranty. Clarity and brightness at a lower power will trump poor clarity and more power.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1945428#Post194 5428

airaddict

I just picked up two simmons 44mag 6-21x 44 w target turrets and side focus and mil dot reticle. They are nice for the money. They of course are no vortex but ive always liked simmons and have had good luck with them. The are pretty clear at the higher end of the mag range for me and i dont have the problem i had with my leupy scope with paralax issues. I never shoot more than 400 yds so this scope is a perfect fit for me and my situation.

Im not a competition shooter so i choose scopes more based on specific features and cost. I wish i had more disposable income to get a few of the higher end vortex scopes but i gotta make due with what i do have at the moment.

Brian

Joe O

For the use you intend,a 3-9 would be ideal.Plenty of used and new in that range.Low power with a large field of view,for close shots,and 9 or 10 power will be plenty for long shots on yotes.Another advantage is no paralax adjustment to mess with.You wouldn't need to go as big as a 50mm objective as a 42mm set on 5 power will give the same exit pupil as a 7x50,and mount lower on the rifle.

dfwbob

You did not really say what you want to spend, but if 399.99 is not out of the question, I would get the Vortex/Midwayusa exclusive. It is 3-15X44, mil reticle with mil adjustment, side focus, zero stop and comes with the Vortex VIP warranty.

I just got one for my 10fp. I have not mounted it yet, but only because I am saving up for seekins rings and base. It is a lot of scope for the money.

I shot my buddies 700 and it has this scope. The click on the turret is very positive. All controls are very smooth. Buy once and cry once.

I am not sure where you are hunting or what your range is, but 6x seems to be pretty steep as a minimum power for coyote.

I would lean more towards a 2-7x or 3-9x for coyote.

I have a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm scope on an AR and while it is adequate, the view is a little "tinted" to my eyes. Almost like looking through a pale-yellow filter.

I would choose either a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35, Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm or Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 (or 50 even for better low light shooting).

The Vortex & Redfield scopes I've looked through have all appeared very clear to my eyes.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.