Thread: 35 years of Alaska packs and Survival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    October is the latest I have experienced Alaska. I've missed the last two years because of health issues, but I usually go visit family at Eagle River in mid August. In the years I've been visiting Alaska, I've been everywhere you can drive from Anchorage on paved highways and a few non paved ones as well. Someday before I die, I am going to make it to Nome and pan for gold on the beach. Alaska gets in your blood for sure.. Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

358Hammer
    In the past 6 weeks we have had 4 weeks of 40-42 degree temps. When the last picture was taken the temp was below freezing. We actually had a couple weeks of single digit weather.
    I picked up a baby Rocket stove to add to my collection of things at the above campsite. Type in Rocket stove and watch all the different video's on rocket stove. It works exactly like indicated in the video's. I have to see if I can find an old coleman oven to go with my stoves now and I will be completely independant and able to do anything at the campsite. The only tracks I have seen in this area are rabbit,fox and deer. Large flocks of ducks and geese are in this small cove every time we show up. With the warm weather I am very hesitant in taking fox as I am afraid of seeing that the hide is not prime.

We are going to the camp site today though it is raining and blowing 60 MPH. Must experience all the different weather outlooks and see what can be improved upon if needed.

This is a picture of a full sized rocket stove. It heats water in my canner to boiling as fast as a propane cook stove. It is called a rocket stove because of the rocket sound it makes when burning..( Extremely efficient) My packer stove is 12" High and the feed/air tube is 12" as well.

Neal
    Last edited by 358Hammer; 12-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.

358Hammer
    Your Bio-lite wood burning stove charging your cell phone!

Not only does it charge your cell phone it actually has its own mini fan which turbo charges the flames inside making an awesome quick cooking fire. It starts with a basis like the rocket stove of burning anything. Hot and cold generates electricity which runs the little fan and with the grill it blows heat and smoke through the little grill top as well.
    http://www.biolitestove.com/

Kind of spendy but it is awesome!

Neal