In order to fulfill my OCD with reloading & Savage shooting, I tend to "over clean" the inside of brass case necks. After all prep work is thoroughly completed, I top it off by taking a piece of 0000 steel wool & proceed to shine 'em up. Mirror finish. In & out. I figured a nice shiny surface to press that bullet into would be ideal & allow it to slip on out and make its way to its intended target.

Then, I read this over at AccurateShooter.Com.... EDIT - SCROLL DOWN. This link no work. Try the second link down a few posts (I'll get eventually...)

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3782925.0

In case the link doesn't come up, the thread is all about why it's not a good idea to shine up the inside of the case neck. It also discusses why & how the bullet sticks to the case neck causing pressure spikes, inconsistancies & poor accuracy.
Suddenly I realised why I can assemble some super duper hi accuracy .270 ammo & send them downrange 200yds, and I see about 50% of them doing what I expect & the remaining 50% all over the target.... Kinda like buckshot.

SO... I run (not walk) to my reloading room, open a box of .270 / 130gr Noslers with 55.6gr of H4831-sc, set up a dead length seating die & proceed to reset some bullets an additional .005".
Lo & behold, what do I hear? A very distinct POP sound as I reseat all of them. Almost every round I made that had been sitting in a box for 3 or 4 weeks - the bullet was trying to weld itself to the case neck. I try a few that I made 3 days ago & they pressed in gently. No POP sound.

SO...As you can see (if you read the info at AccurateShooter in the "reloading" forum), an overly clean & shiny case neck interior is a bad thing. Dirty (to some degree) is good... Old powder residue can be a good thing.
I post this info in hopes of helping another OCD Reloader in hope that they will not make the mistake I did & live a more fullfilling life in the ever wonderous world of the Savage Switch Barrel Thunderstick.

Frank in Fla.