As the title mentions I am starting some loads up with the new 168gr TTSX, and H4350. The 168's have a BC of .470, so they ought to do all I will need them to do. I have the Barnes number 4 manual and H4350 was not the listed fastest, or most accurate powder, but it is what I have the most of, and so that is where I have to start. Living in lead free CA, I need to work up a solid load that this rifle likes. I also have some Barnes 130gr TTSX's to try, but since I have a limited amount of empty brass, I will work on my main load first. I want to load the 130's also, and see how much the POI changes. The Barnes loads list them out the muzzle (24" barrel, mine is 22) at around 3200-3300fps, so I am guessing mine will come in about 50fps lower, or so.

I have to ask how you guys, the ones that do NOT have a gauge, measure the length to the lands? I usually seat a bullet out long and cycle it in the chamber till it shows markings from the lands, then I start seating it deeper and deeper as I load. I started at a COL of 3.330" ( this is .050" off the lands, by the way I measure them) and went deeper in steps of .010". I also varied the powder charge, and for each charge weight, loaded to the same COL as other charge weights. Hopefully, this will give me a charge weight, and bullet depth, the rifle prefers. If nothing is suitable, or if I see no improvments, I will assume it must be the powder in the combo, and try to get another powder.

Anyone else with a bit of Barnes load experience with a technique that has worked for them?