Hello, I'm new here and am wondering if anyone out there has already built a .284 and can answer my questions regarding a build. I'm looking to buy a basic rifle or action for a 284 build and don't want to start with the wrong thing and have to fix it by buying another! I plan to use the longer 160-170 gr bullets so the OAL length I need is more then the 2.800" which is the official size for the 284. I have heard that 2.950" will be long enough for the magazine feed well but I'm not sure of that. I'm also not sure (and this is my big question) what the opening size is on the Savage short actions (.308 size) and if they will feed long 284s or if I need to use a long action to begin with. I have also seen a used Savage 110 long action for sale but it was originally a .308 and it's my understanding that Savage used to only have a long action and they simply opened a smaller feed well in the bottom of the action for shorter cases. The downside of this being that you can only use short cartridges (308, 243, etc.) but have the more limited stock selection of the long action.

I would appreciate any input from anyone out there who has already gone down this road. I plan to fit a 26" heavy sporter or varmint bbl and use the gun for a long range hunter and while I have no illusions of making it a serious F class gun, I may use it in any local matches I can find. I know it would be simpler to just start with a 7mm Rem Mag and use that but it's really more gun then I need and the 284 seems a more efficient, accurate round that would be easier on barrels and wallets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,