Seeing how things are going economy wise, read getting from bad to worse, with gas prices on the rise, food prices and raw metals, you name it, things are going through the roof. It's getting so I will most likely need to pick a caliber and stick with it for my major reloading/hunting endeavors. It will need to be one with readily available components like brass, bullets etc. For the present time it needs to have a decent selection of lead free bullets, but if things go really south i won't really care if there is lead in them or not, not if it becomes a matter of meat on the table or go hungry.

I am thinking along the lines of a 30-06 or 300 Wm. I know the 300 has more reach and a little more oomph, but at a cost of powder, and recoil.

The old '06 does almost anything the 300 will, but not as far out, not quite as flat, but uses less powder, less recoil. I believe brass is available almost anywhere for either, right?

I need to add, this will be a big game gun, for pigs and up, and I will be a self limiting shooter to a max of 300-400yds, preferably closer.

What are your thoughts, opinions?